fan wont turn off!

alright, i already searched but couldnt find much that helps. my fan will sometimes go off and on like it should, but it seems that lately it has been staying on after i turn the car off and killing my battery. and its not like its hot outside, i live in oregon. it just happened when i left work today. anyways, would could cause this and how can i fix it soon. its really starting to get to me :bang:. sometimes it seems to help if i start the car for a few minutes and then turn it off. i dont know though.

thermostat?

our cars have an oil temp switch on the back of the block(i forget what it looks like)but i think that only controls one fan(the condensor fan)… but is it both fans or only one side?

There is also a fan control unit under the dash, but never heard of one going bad. We do need to know which fan is staying on, cause the condensor fan and cooling fan are on seperate circuits. As stated earlier, the condensor fan (drivers side), comes on with A/C or when the oil temp reaches a certain temp. So it is designed to stay on, or come on after the car is shut off if the oil temp is too high. But I thought the max time it should run is like 15-20 minutes, so that function might be controlled by some kind of timer or the aforementioned fan control unit.

Hope this helps, and don’t worry too much about the cost of repair, because you could always wire up your fan/fans to come on/off when the ignition is on only, and run the circuit thru the ECTswitch so they come on at the appropriate times, no biggie.

I always wondered how effective the condensor fan is when it is run with the car off, I mean, is it cooling the block from the outside because with the car off, nothing is being circulated thru the block or head.

its the cooling fan. besides, my a/c doesnt even have a belt on it right now.

you’re lucky… my fan doesn’t even turn on!

doesnt matter if the A/C has a belt on it or not… the condensor fan should still turn on