transmission help

when i first got my car reverse sinchronizer was out of it and that didnt really bother me since it was just reverse, but now 3rd is out of it. the car has 142k on it and i would like to know if they make a transmission rebuild kit or if i should just buy a new transmission. when i shift into reverse you can hear it grind and sometimes trying to get into 3rd is a trick- it will either not let u get into it or it will grind then complete the shift. so if anyone knows anything about this or has had the same prob, please help me.

there are about 200 people that have the third gear grind. you would be better off bying a new trans rather than replacing the synchros. but before you do that, try replacing your trans fluid with some gm synchromesh, the regular stuff not friction modified, and see if that helps. it should, but if you’re not happy with that, then i guess you’ll just have to wiegh your options.

fyi - reverse does not have syncro

A repair including installation at a good shop will run you around $700 (depending on parts) where as you could probably get a good used one at a salvage yard or on eBay for about $300-400. I just picked up a JDM S1 for $380 with only 38,000 miles on it. She’s a beaut.