very quick question about heatshields

yo i just had a quick question, what all do i have to take off to get to the bolts to take off the stock heatshield? thanks in advance if u can help me.

why do you need to take it off?

oops sry i forgot to say this is the h/s that goes over the exhaust manifold. because i wanted to take it off :wink: and i may be replacing stock w/ dc sports headers soon
thx

ah, i was thinkin heatshield between your exhaust and car…that one’s there for a really good reason. :wink:

as for the manifold heatshield, there’s an upper and lower heat shield. the upper has 3 bolts that attach it, circled in red:

the rear is probably best tackled with the manifold off the engine, but you can see in the picture where those bolts are too.

best of luck; cast iron rusts quickly, so use 6-point wrenches or sockets. 12-point are likely to round off the bolt head. :up:

haha yeah i was just underneath the car doin work w/ the exhaust heat shield when i put my short shifter in, that ones gone now… thanks a lot for your help. i appreciate it… will i need to take off any parts to be able to get to these bolts?

ah… there … i always do this… i thought to myself “eh i’ll just run out and check it out see whta i’ll have to do” popped the hood
grabbed the first wrench i saw and befoer you know it i had all 4 bolts off…
hardest thing was to actually pull it outta there lol. thanks again!

my pleasure. :slight_smile:

Actually there are 4 bolts, not 3… but that should be obvious when you actually start removing the part.

Also, I figuredI should mention that its kinda nice to have the head shield on. Its surprising how much heat it actually holds in. I had mine off for a few weeks after doing some work… the dip stick would get so hot that it was almost painful to check the oil if the car had just been running. Basically everything near the header got a LOT hotter w/ the shield off.

ssh… that’s part of my “make you learn it by trying it rather than spoon-feed you the answer all the time” theory toward helping people. :wink:

I hear ya there… although his question was on how to remove the heat shield, and if you don’t want to spoon-feed him… then no one should post. Removing that heat shield is basically self explanitory, lol. Pop hood, look at heat shield, notice bolts, remove said bolts, remove heat shield… Thats why I didn’t post when I first saw this thread.