leak between engine and head, gasket?

first my engine has 230km to it, i got it at about 210km.
Every 5000km i burn about less than a quart of oil
missing less than half a bottle of coolant
no trace of oil/coolant mix …
no smoke while im drivin
engine runs great BUT

there is a black greasy leak at the left side of the engine (between block and head)
compression seems to be ok,
what could it be?

is the area leaking and burning or its just there and u get no scent or smoke?its sounds like a gasket issue,not all the time u get coolant mixing with oil with the outer cylinders,could be a hairline break in the gasket,cant figure what else it could be.

Sounds like a leaky cam end plug or distributor o-ring. When those leak the oil drips down the head and collects where the head and block meet.

When replacing the cam plug you can opt for one from a newer integra, as it might be a little better. Although thats debatable.

thx ill see it more closely

Or another thing you can try is having dye put in your oil and drive it for a couple hours and have someone look at the engine with a blacklight. I did that. My cam plugs are leaking and the cap that goes on the end of the cam on the passenger side, (maybe that is the cam plug, lol), is leaking. I replaced all of them and even added some on the end of the cam but to no avail, still leaks. Just a thought.

On the driver side of the engine there is a cam seal for each cam. On the Passenger side of the engine there is a cam end plug for the exhaust cam. The intake cam connects to the distributor and all that is sealed w/ the distributor o-ring.

Personally, unless I knew that some of those seals were already relatively new… I’d just replace all of them. And while you’re at it you might as well change the valve cover gasket, adjust your valves, and check your ignition timing, maybe replace your spark plugs… just do a little tune up :slight_smile:

:up:
good then

but is the possibility of the head gasket still in the air ?
or is the symptoms of a broken headgasket is only to break between 2 cylinders? (cause its pretty thick on the sides…)

Its possible that the head gasket is bad… but probably not very likely. I don’t think you see that type of leak in honda head gaskets very much. I would definitely replace those other seals first. Or at least clean the engine really really well, then run the car and you should be able to see where the leak is coming from. From everything you’ve mentioned there isn’t anything that leads me to believe that its a head gasket. All of your symptoms can be caused by other problems… problems which are more likely than a bad head gasket.

the leak is due to the cam seal as well as a little leak from the valve cover AND the radiator hose.

i have the same leak. Ive heard that alot of hondas leak in that same spot. right between the head and the block…bottom left corner looking at the engine from the front.

mines leaking exactly from there…do i need a new headgasket??

It sounds like you just need new cam-seals. A bad head-gasket wouldn’t likely cause oil to be leaking out of the engine without causing much more alarming symptoms. The cam seals on these Honda engines are made of rubber and the engine gets very hot, so they eventually need to be replaced, as with all rubber parts in cars. Some company makes aftermarket replacement cam-seals which are made of metal and have a rubber O-ring. They seem to be much more reliable.

be careful when replaceing the cam seal, i just went to do mine yesterday and when i was taking the bolts out they broke very easily. Now im picking my car up tomorrow from my mechanic $7 part and $180 of labor.

how exactly do you change the cam seals? is it fairly easy?