Broke Down on the Freeway...

Hey all, I got a job today in tampa. construction if ur wondering but anyways on my hour and half 2 hour drive back my car wouldnt go past 4000 rpm. so i shut her down, let it sit, the cat was bright orange. I think well that clogged oh well. I thought the distributor rotor may have fallen off but i didnt have the tools to check. I beat on the cat, nothing. I call the tow truck to drag my ass back to Ocala. Well, thought it sounded like it was only running on like one cylinder, sounded like a lawn mower starting up. pulled all the sparkplugs…3 covered in gas. I pull the cap…and low and behold…the rotor had melted, the screw to hold it down was still in tact. well tomorrow, I will see if it screwed the distributor up or not…pray for me kids! :violin:

ps. mad broke

i had similar problems. new cap and rotor should do it for ya. prolly about 30-40 bucks at most. :up:

why did rotor melt in the first place though?

not changed when it should have been, so it eventually wore down and the electricity was arcing across it causing the plastic to melt.

common problem if you never chage your cap and rotor. or moisture gets underneath the cap.

thanks…good to hear… the rotor/ and cap were looking like poo anyways, I should have changed em. I actually just got done doing a little bit of work on the engine too. my negligence I guess…why would the cat be glowing though?

if the spark wasn’t getting to the cylinders and fuel wasn’t being ignited, but then getting to the cat and heating up to the point where it ignited there, it would cause the cat to get a shit-ton hotter than it normally does. you’re probably going to want a new cat eventually, although it’s not insanely necessary right now.

Cat what cat?? get a TEST PIPE :ghetto:

man…the distributor is bad…it never ends. I got enough money to get my apartment like i promised the g/f she flies down the 31st of dec. no job…what to do what to do…again with the :violin: