Battery sparked, now no power to the car!!

Well i was putting a new battery in my car and the cable end broke and made a big spark in the process from not having full connection. Now I dont have any power in the car. Im assuming its a fuse but i dont know what one and realy dont have time to poke at everything since its in murrays parking lot and i have no days off this week.
If anyone can point me toward the right direction so i dont have to go blind into this it would be great.
TIA

first place i would look at is under the hood, that little black fuse box. Thats what i would do.

Thats what i figured. I just thought maybe this had happend to somone else too before. That may have an exact answer,lol

Prolly the big 80ish Amps fuse there…

def the 80 amper. i replaced an altenator recently on a customers g2. and arced the big ground wire and thats what happend.

There shouldn’t be a big spark unless you connected the battery terminal in the wrong way.

Well i changed the cable and saw that it was the battry fuse that was out. But i put a new one in and as soon as i put on the positive cable it blows the fuse again.??? Ive taken the battery in and out many times before without ever having this problem. Anyone have any ideas??

you have a short somewhere…

How could i have a short when nothin changed execpt the battery and the cable? It was fine, then i changed the battery and positive cable. Which ive done once before. And now it does this, thats it.it worked yesterday, now it doesnt.

Well i put both new neg and positive cables on and still the fuse keeps blowin when i put the negative on. Ive went through 3 80amp fuses now and the only store that has em ive bought out. I got one left and i cant figure what the hell is wrong with this thing.

Take a multimeter and check to make sure everything is ok

I dont know what to check and what reading each should read.

Is there any chance at all that you are connecting the positive wire to the negative terminal and vice versa?

The car isnt here right now but i am 99% sure im connecting them right.
As in all my past batteries it was a top mount with the terminals running along the right side. With the positive on top and negative on the bottom.

Double and triple check the actual MARKINGS on your battery. The battery I have now - if you turn it so that it’s in the way the old battery was, you hook it up backwards.

If you’re absolutely positive you’ve got it right (i.e. you looked at the +/- markings on the battery), check the cable going to the alternator to make sure it’s not shorted. Same with the one to the starter.

Well turns out you were right, i took for granted that the posts would be in the same place on the new battery. Turned out i put the cables on backwards. So it starts now. So now it starts fine and all but i cant turn any accessories on or the car will die. Like when i turn my headlights on it dies. Im assuming when i put the battery in backwards it may have blown other fuses, but i dont know what ones it would be. Does anyone have any ideas what would be wrong?

:clap: :bang:

is it dying fast or slowly going to a stop? is the alt still ok?

YEAYEAYEA!!lol :bang:
Im dumb.
But it starts up real quick and easy, and i just did an alternator check and its fine. Its when any accessories turn on. Like if i turn my headlights on it dies. Also if i hit the brakes it dies too.???
I have no idea what it could be.

Glad I could help. When I trouble-shoot problems, I always start with the most obvious and trivial, and progress to the more complicated and expensive. Except when I am looking for an excuse to upgrade of course.

I think you burnt out the battery cells. the battery will be good enough to start the car but not to run your accessories. Try someone elses battery.