Another oil leak question i searched. i need confirmation

i have an oil leak. i have only had the car about a month. it is a 91 gs four door with abs. oil is on the right side of the engine. (if you have the hood open looking at the engine bay) the oil gets on the belt. now based on my research here http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86428&highlight=oil+leak it appears that it is one of the main seals. i have already checked the rear main, which is the one that is on the tranny side of the engine, when i changed the clutch. i need to know if this oil leak sounds like it could be the front main seal, and how much work is it to change it out?
thanks in advance,
mike

No, the front main seal would be on the left side of your engine bay. Have you checked your valve cover gasket? what belt/s is it getting on?

thanks for your reply

i have not checked the valve cover gasket. it looked ok when i replaced the cam plug. it is getting on the big belt, i guess the one that powers the power steering, alternator, ac??? the belt on the right side that you can see running. not timing belt i know for sure. this one is outside the valve cover to the right if you looking at the engine bay from the front of the car.

okay, there are 3 belts if you have a/c & power steering. one for each of those, and one for your alternator. Doesn’t really matter, but if it’s not your timing belt, then it’s probly not your valve cover gasket that’s leaking. I’d recommend going & getting some dye from a shop, adding it, drive a couple hundred miles, and have them put a light on it to see where it’s coming from…

thank you

thank you very much. i will check into that dye and see if i can find it. darn it, i was hoping someone else has had the problem and knew the remedy.
thank you for your help,
mike

Are you sure it is engine oil? The timing belt is between the engine and all those accessory belts, so if the timing belt is not getting oil on it then it is hard to say how the accessory belts would. Are you sure it isn’t brake fluid or power steering fluid? Those are both close to the accessory belts.

If a seal is leaking on your power steering pump the fluid will leak onto the belt and will flick up onto the hood, and the p/s pump is on the right side.

I think that is where your oil leak is coming from, becasue it looks kinda like oil…I had this problem, was fixed with a new p/s pump, bought from a memeber here for about 20 bucks.

If a seal is leaking on your power steering pump the fluid will leak onto the belt and will flick up onto the hood, and the p/s pump is on the right side.

yes yes that is it i believe. there is that fluid up on the underside of the hood. i will check it out this weekend. for sure. man i really hope this is the problem.

strikeback03, i think you are right too. i did not make absolute certain that it was in fact oil. what was i thinking? it looked like it so i jumped to conclusions i hope.

i willl double check this weekend for sure.

thank you guys so much.