Readme

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crappy gas mileage...???

Collapse
X

Crappy gas mileage...???

Collapse
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Crappy gas mileage...???

    ive been getting real shitty mileage for what reason? i dont know. i did a tune up in the summer, bosch red spark plug wires,denso spark plugs,honda oem cap and rotor(well i just put the rotor on), fuel filter, pcv valve, tire psi at like 30-32. i just drove this weekend on the freeway for 100 miles from a full tank and now its at a half of tank, to my calculations at the half using 6.6 gallons from 13.2 i only got 15mpg. you think it could be my o2 sensor or air filter since i have a generic ebay one?

    #2
    I'd guess air filter... I should get a new one since mine gets about 175 miles to the tank

    there are about 3 "gas mileage" threads around here though

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by ElBorintegra
      I'd guess air filter... I should get a new one since mine gets about 175 miles to the tank

      there are about 3 "gas mileage" threads around here though
      yeah i know the other threads, well i guess i should start checking everything out, and oh yeah what is all this white stuff in my distributor cap? the last one didnt have this until i put the new one with the new wires

      Comment


        #4
        i'd ask ODB-0 or 1 like I know what I'm talking about...but I dont... sorry

        Comment


          #5
          its a 90 obd0 but anyways this sucks, city driving is worse, i think im getting like 10mpg lol

          Comment


            #6
            with you on that one my friend... I'm starting to get behind the Towncars and Tercels so I won't speed up now...

            Comment


              #7
              guess i have to use my damn credit card again to get a new o2 sensor and air filter!!! well i might as well buy an intake now i guess

              Comment


                #8
                don't get a Bosch O2 sensor.

                Comment


                  #9
                  denso o2 sensor is best right?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    hey me too

                    i get like 14 mpg with my 94 gsr swap in my gen2 i dont understand it help me out how much much is an o2 sensor anyway?????

                    Comment


                      #11
                      http://www2.acuautoparts.com/parts/p...=Oxygen+Sensor

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I think you can find the Denso O2 sensors for $40-60

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Actually the gas tanks in G2s are set up so that when you get to "E" and the light comes on you still have 2.5 gallons or so left as a reserve. So you probably used about 5.5 gallons for that 100 miles.

                          Keep in mind that in the winter time gas companies switch over to a more oxygenated gas... supposedly for easier winter starting and better combustion. I don't buy into that idea though, so I look for stations that sell non-oxy gas. I notice that there is about a 3-4mpg difference in the fuel (depending on how you drive).

                          Also, if you've been letting your car warm up for a few minutes because it's cold... you'll be using up extra gas. Further, your driving habits heavily affect your mpg.

                          Try some different gas, driving habits... and record your results.
                          I'd figure 270 miles by the time you hit the "E" (about 10.7 gallons) is normal in the winter... about 300 in the summer. At least, that's been my range for the 7+ years I've owned my Teg.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by brandospace
                            Actually the gas tanks in G2s are set up so that when you get to "E" and the light comes on you still have 2.5 gallons or so left as a reserve. So you probably used about 5.5 gallons for that 100 miles.

                            Keep in mind that in the winter time gas companies switch over to a more oxygenated gas... supposedly for easier winter starting and better combustion. I don't buy into that idea though, so I look for stations that sell non-oxy gas. I notice that there is about a 3-4mpg difference in the fuel (depending on how you drive).

                            Also, if you've been letting your car warm up for a few minutes because it's cold... you'll be using up extra gas. Further, your driving habits heavily affect your mpg.

                            Try some different gas, driving habits... and record your results.
                            I'd figure 270 miles by the time you hit the "E" (about 10.7 gallons) is normal in the winter... about 300 in the summer. At least, that's been my range for the 7+ years I've owned my Teg.
                            hmmm i dont know if gas stations here sell non-oxy gas, but i think i need to buy a new o2 sensor, and ive been driving lightly, never going above 3k and not accelerating hard. and no i dont let the car warm up when its cold, i just dont rev pass 2k or 2500

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by MattyG2
                              hmmm i dont know if gas stations here sell non-oxy gas, but i think i need to buy a new o2 sensor, and ive been driving lightly, never going above 3k and not accelerating hard. and no i dont let the car warm up when its cold, i just dont rev pass 2k or 2500
                              It's okay to rev past 3k... lol... that shouldn't hurt your mileage... Spending alot of time at WOT will though. You could be rolling down a hill in gear, with your foot off the throttle, and creep past 3k - won't be using much gas.

                              Check your air filter and intake... but it would have to be pretty damn dirty or obstructed to be killing your mileage so badly.
                              Check for fuel leaks.
                              Check your timing.
                              Check the O2.
                              At least the OBD0 oxygen sensors are the cheapest. Give it a try I suppose.

                              Comment


                                #16
                                Originally posted by brandospace
                                It's okay to rev past 3k... lol... that shouldn't hurt your mileage... Spending alot of time at WOT will though. You could be rolling down a hill in gear, with your foot off the throttle, and creep past 3k - won't be using much gas.

                                Check your air filter and intake... but it would have to be pretty damn dirty or obstructed to be killing your mileage so badly.
                                Check for fuel leaks.
                                Check your timing.
                                Check the O2.
                                At least the OBD0 oxygen sensors are the cheapest. Give it a try I suppose.
                                but doesnt driving hard accelerating kill the gas mileage? because i drive in hills a lot to get home

                                Comment


                                  #17
                                  The more you open the throttle... the more fuel will be required to mix with the air for the proper air/fuel ratio.

                                  Engine RPM doesn't directly correspond to fuel consumption.

                                  In fact.. if you're low RPM bogging up hills because you don't want to rev to high... you'll get terrible gas mileage.

                                  You need to rev into your powerband to get the most power/efficiency out of your engine.


                                  These little cars make their power up past 3k.

                                  Comment


                                    #18
                                    Originally posted by brandospace
                                    The more you open the throttle... the more fuel will be required to mix with the air for the proper air/fuel ratio.

                                    Engine RPM doesn't directly correspond to fuel consumption.

                                    In fact.. if you're low RPM bogging up hills because you don't want to rev to high... you'll get terrible gas mileage.

                                    You need to rev into your powerband to get the most power/efficiency out of your engine.


                                    These little cars make their power up past 3k.
                                    so what rpm/gear should i be going up hills to not kill the gas mileage?

                                    Comment


                                      #19
                                      Man, you need an auto. lol

                                      Well, it depends on speed limit, angle of hill, etc. I can't tell you how to drive a hilly road I can't drive myself.

                                      Just don't be afraid to use your cars power potential... you can rev that sucker up... but don't redline it. Just don't sit there and cruise at high RPM... once you "quickly" get up to a good cruising speed... shift into a higher gear. If it's up and down hills... downshift to climb em.

                                      Comment


                                        #20
                                        ^^^that's what I've been doing...

                                        Shift points for me (getting the most out of my B20B right now at 170 miles w/ a quarter tank left)
                                        1st: 3k
                                        2nd: 3.5
                                        3rd : 4k

                                        4th: 4k
                                        5th: ....

                                        .... :p

                                        Comment


                                          #21
                                          Originally posted by brandospace
                                          Man, you need an auto. lol

                                          Well, it depends on speed limit, angle of hill, etc. I can't tell you how to drive a hilly road I can't drive myself.

                                          Just don't be afraid to use your cars power potential... you can rev that sucker up... but don't redline it. Just don't sit there and cruise at high RPM... once you "quickly" get up to a good cruising speed... shift into a higher gear. If it's up and down hills... downshift to climb em.
                                          im tryin to save as much gas as i can, gas is high here around 2.30 regular so its killing me

                                          Comment


                                            #22
                                            It's just your gauge don't worry about it.

                                            Mine stays at full for about 60 miles then drops rapidly (about 30 miles) to right above the middle. It stays around the middle for around 80 miles, then drops again pretty rapidly to right above empty. I get about 60 miles above empty, and then below I get about 60 more miles before I decide to fill up (light still isn't on yet).

                                            It seems like I get real bad gas milage if you go by the gauge, but if you really think about it I'm about normal. The gauge is just inacurate.

                                            Comment


                                              #23
                                              Originally posted by Sam
                                              It's just your gauge don't worry about it.

                                              Mine stays at full for about 60 miles then drops rapidly (about 30 miles) to right above the middle. It stays around the middle for around 80 miles, then drops again pretty rapidly to right above empty. I get about 60 miles above empty, and then below I get about 60 more miles before I decide to fill up (light still isn't on yet).

                                              It seems like I get real bad gas milage if you go by the gauge, but if you really think about it I'm about normal. The gauge is just inacurate.
                                              i guess you're right because the needle does that and it urks me, guess ill just fill up when the gas light comes on, then ill calculate how much gas i used

                                              Comment


                                                #24
                                                I'm always thinking my gas mileage sucks ass, but then I think again:

                                                I drive more than 60 miles a day... and my engine was designed for a car with a bigger gas tank (googling to back that statement up)

                                                edit:

                                                From MSN AUTOS on the CRV: Fuel Economy (city / hwy): Four-Wheel Drive

                                                2.0L 126 hp I4
                                                4-Speed Automatic Overdrive 22 / 25 mpg


                                                from NCTD.com :

                                                Fuel capacity: 15.3 gal.

                                                as opposed to the integra's 13.2 gallons.

                                                Comment


                                                  #25
                                                  when i hear people whine about how they do 20mpg and they used to to 30mpg, i say: well mine does about 7.5mpg so quit crying

                                                  Comment

                                                  Working...
                                                  X