water in fuel system

I have a problem with water getting into my fuel system. I know it’s water because when it gets cold out, the engine is unbeleivably sluggish until i drive it around for a few minutes or so, and I put some gas line antifreeze in there, and all that stopped immediately. Any common places water could get into? Maybe a crack in the fuel line?

-Matt

The gas tank. You can buy some stuff called Heat, or Heet, or something. I’m not sure how it’s spelled. But in winter months you should pour it in about every 3 tanks of gas, it will keep that from happening.

Ya, that’s the stuff i have been putting in, but i am trying to find a way to avoid doing that for the rest of my life.

-Matt

Oh, well there isn’t much you can do to avoid it. Especially not in our older cars.

Best thing to do would be to always keep the tank full. The reason you get that water in the tank is because of the water in the air. It condenses then mixes into the gas on cold days. Since gas floats on water, the water moves to the bottom of the tank. That water then goes into your fuel system, not much else you can do about it. :shrug: