Exhaust holes...

I got a set of 4 Yokohama AVID H4S tires put on my car today, and asked them to look at the exhaust because it was sounding like it had a hole in it; well I was right and it did - but not just one, two or three!

Now I did not see it, but the guy said that there are two holes in the pipe going from the catalytic converter to the muffler, and one starting in the muffler but he was not sure if it was all the way through yet.

Since I dont have the money to replace the system right now, nad it sounds obviously broken, I was thinkning of leaving the muffler and cat, but taking out the pipe in between.

I know this will make it louder, thats not what I am going for, bet eh. I figure it will be almost like having a stragit pipe, but with a cat, hopefully freeing up about 5hp…? Or do I need to take the cat off as well for that?

BTW, here in Iowa we do not really have any major emissions laws that I know of, we do not have CARB tests or car inspections, so that will not be a problem.

5hp? how about 0 to -2 to 3 hp. by taking out the pipe inbetween the muffler and cat, you have just ruin the exhaust flow and velocity needed to make power.

register and read up.

http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=47

http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=2

http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=355

So instead of having an exhaust that sounds a little funny because of holes you want to…remove the muffler. That makes zero sense. Like spikeymike said you won’t gain any power at all, your car will sound 10x worse and be extremely loud. Just save up some money and replace the pipe or if it’s just a few holes take it to get patched, which should not be expensive.

actually he was gonna leave the muffler and remove the midpipe between the muffler and cat, which is even worse than taking off the muffler itself.

Yeah, but he was in effect “disabling” the muffler. Also I doubt having the exhaust exit in the middle of the car is very good in terms of heat.

werd! heat, noise, loss of power, attraction from cops…etc

Sheesh, how come I didnt even think of that!
I think I can buy patch stuff at WalMart too! Thanks for reminding me about it!

You can get an exhaust patch kit from Kragen’s/Schuck’s/whatever auto parts store is nearby …

I got the patches, and I am going to change the oil while i am at it, suppose it is best to just jack up the car and get under it, or use soem jack stands?

Please LMK ASAP, I am going to do it ; bascily, right now!!

Personally, I wouldn’t climb underneath my car without it being on jackstands, but that’s just me.

Thats what I figure… but it would be sooo much faster to just jack it up… eh; oh well

Hey, it’s only your life. It barely takes any extra effort to use a jack stand.

I think this is a bit of an exaggeration. Honestly, how much longer does it take to throw a couple of jackstands under your car?

Honestly, are you willing to trade the rest of your life for the two minutes of it that you’ll gain by not using jackstands?

well, maybe 2 minutes if you’re handicapped…probly a whopping 30 seconds for any able bodied person out there…

Jackstands are for pussies. Don’t believe any of the safety labels you read :up:

Natural Selection…

You’re kidding right? I’m going to assume that from your question, you’ve got one flathead screwdriver, and two paper clips in your tool box.

(Sorry, I had to guys.)

Anyhow, if you pull off any of the wheels, throw them beneath the chassis, for extra protection if the jackstands or jack slips.
Good luck. (BTW, make a local friend who works on cars.)

Hey, back on my old topic; are the holes I have back there giving me more preformance, less preformance, ar just about the same except noisy?

This thread keeps getting better and better.

hahahaha, yes, yes it does…Okay…Holes in your exhaust are in no way, whatsoever, a good thing.

:giggle: