Prevent a coolant wet passenger floor from rotting?

OK so according to my dad my heater core is bad (I have condensation on windshield) and he told me to see if my passenger side carpet was wet. Apparently it is wet, when I change my heater core, what can I do, so my floorboard won’t rot out?

It may not be your heater core. It’s very common to get water into the ventilation system. It drains down into the blower assembly. From there, much of it leaks down and drips onto the carpet. That would also cause the condensation when you turn your fan on. It shouldn’t be too hard to figure out which it is though – press your fingers into your carpet. Smell your fingers. If it smells sweet like antifreeze, obviously that’s what it is. But if it just smells like wet carpet… it’s just water.

Check to make sure its coolant before you buy a heater core! If it is water use the teg tip I posted to fix the water leak.

If it is coolant ( interior of teh car smells sweet and fluid is slick) I have an extra heater core in my garage.

jeff.collins@volvo.com or secondjenn@aol.com

cool, I’m tempted to just buy an acura original from someone that’s parting out a car (cuz it’s freaking expensive brand new) but my dad said, “why are you going to do a such a pain in the ass job twice, when the used one goes bad again”

in a sense, he has a point.
But the main question, I had has gone unanswered. Now that my carpet and floor is wet, what do I do so it won’t rot out?

Should I peel back the carpet and scrub and clean, and clean and dry my carpet? suggestions?

Well when my carpet was soaked, I pulled the carpet right out of the car. It’s a pain in the ass, but it allowed me to do a much more thorough job. If that’s not really an option, I would say use a steam cleaner on the carpet, peel the carpet back wherever you can and dry it out any way you can (vacuum, hair dryer… heat gun is great but don’t get so close that you melt the carpet). It is very thick, so if you can peel the carpet up and stick a couple fans or something in your car for a day or two, that would likely help a lot.

yeah, sounds good. I’m gonna check the helms to see, how I can go about pulling up the carpet, just from that FR corner.

It’s not too difficult to just pull up that corner. You can remove the door sill piece just by pulling up on it. There are a couple little buttons under the dash on the carpet that attach it to the firewall. You can pull those out too I think. Then just take the 4 bolts out to remove your passenger seat, and you should be able to pull the carpet up enough to work on it.

Just use a shop vac or a house type carpet cleaner to suck out the water.

I’ve never heard of a heater core going out on a G2. I’m willing to bet that its just water from the cowl retainer pin seals.

The core that I have is from a 93 LS. I’ll send it to you for $25.00 shipped.