Takes a while to shift from D to P

Heya!

I have noticed that my car (got it about 3 weeks ago) takes a while to shift to P when I stop. The previous owner told me he had put “performance transmission fluid”, could that be the problem (it’s winter around here, about 0 celcius these days). Maybe its not thick enough and until it warms up it works not very well? but that is only for P, shifting to R/N/D/S3 works very well.

any ideas?

viz

My sis’s teg did the same thing last year. There is a switch on the side of the shifter that wears out. Replaced it and it works great. If the trans was car was cold it wouldn’t show on the dash it was in park even though the lever was in the “p” position, It only happened in winter here in MN.

you mean, this switch?

ps: yes of course i drew all that by myself in less that 30 minutes cough

That’s it, and that is a very good drawing by the way.

yeah thanks to honda and their super engineers they were paid to do it :naughty:

do you have the part number of that thing by any chance?

not to be a dick but search- stuck in p or can shift …i found the part number somewhere on this site. that will fix it too. seach my user name and you might find a thread or 2 on it. its like 40 or 45 buck at acura and 2 bolts to change the part itself.

good luck

thanks a lot for the hint, because it was some click here, click there, get deeper, link to another thread but i finally got it

35700-SK7-A01 (Gear Positon Switch) 51.91$CDN at the local acura dealer, not bad

people always yell to search and call you names but when i search sometimes i just am not using the propper keyword or something. and it has to be more than 2 letters which excludes searching forsale by state.

anyway take off the dash pannels. take off the center concle and it is 2 - 10 mm bolts and unplug the plug. pop it on bolt the 2 bolt and plug it in. the only thing i would say is look at it when you take it off becuase when i first put it on i moved the thingy that touches the gear. it was easy figure out and set me back not much time at all.

next thing to think of is when you start your car can you shift it our of park easy and when you want or do you have to wait? if not there is a ziptie fix or you can fix the part while you are there. its on the other side of the shifter

I had the same problem as you and I just took out the part pictured and cleaned it and regreased it with dielectric grease and its working fine so far. Maybe try it first before buying a new part.

had the same problem in cold weather (5 celcius and lower) or just all the time?

Yea i had that problem. I made a word doc on how to replace the part if ya want me to email it to ya.

there are answers though if you search:

http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80430
http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76803

with diagrams and part numbers too!!!

Just cold weather. The colder the weather, the longer it took for the indicator light on the instrument panel to light up the ‘P’ and, consequently, the longer I would have to wait to get my key out. Since I cleaned and regreased its been ok.

Yea my brothers has been doing that ever since it has been getting cold out. Its a pain in the ass sometimes. I think hes going to replace that piece and see if that helps.

My auto just starting doing wierd things on me. In the morning it wouldnt shift out of 1st but when i let it warm up for a good 5 minutes it would start working and if i drove around the block a couple of times. Just yesterday at the drive through getting food it wouldnt go into any gears after I sat there a couple minutes.Started pushing it with a friend and halfway home it starting working again. Also it does that parking thing. It sounds like this sensor is my problem. Anybody have this happen to them? or is this my problem? Thanks

it sounds common but i am not sure about what went on in the drive through. search the forums stuck in park and key stuck. there is writeup on gear shift selector also.

i cleaned a piece i think it was this one i will double check but its still doing it. this will definatly fix the problem…alot of people are mentioning the transmission cable but i dont think that would be it…it would prolly make sence its this piece insted of the cable because it takes about 30min of driving to make it shift and by that time the inside of the car is toasty warm and the piece isnt all cold. thats the only thing i can think of…i am going to try and clean it one more time and if its still broke then i will replace. wish me luck

I have the same problem as you. It won’t shift for about 10minutes after it seems warm so I thought that this was the problem. I just installed it and no such luck. Think something is wrong with my tranny. Hope it works for you though.

Same kind of problem

I have the same thing happen to me, i put it into P but it takes a few moments for it to read that its in park. The car goes into the gear fine but it takes forever for it to realize its in park, so you cant turn the car fully off so i have to sit there waiting for it, i tried doing the grease thing but it didnt seem to help much. Anybody got anything for me?

i just fixed mine, its fine now, like new!