short shifter question

I was thinking about getting a short shifter here pretty soon. But the other day I was talking to one of my friends and he said I shouldnt get one because they wear out the synchros pretty fast in Honda’s. Is this true??? I have never heard of this but he swears it is true. Will a short shifter really reduce the life span of your synchros??? If so, by how much??? This has really got me re-thinking the whole short shifter idea.

driver error is the cause for all the myths and stories.

i’ve only misshifted once and that was when i first installed my skunk2 SS but had the oem knob on it. my skunk2 knob was on back order, so i didn’t have the positive feeling like having the weighted skunk2 knob for a week. its a world of difference with it on. 165k on my tranny 6k of it with the SS and it still shifts like butter. numerous people here have them and haven’t had any problems. make sure you get shifter bushings also.

Your friend is a F&F fanatic. It’s not true. What will be true though is that a short shifter is usually stiffer than a stock shifter, but after a while you’ll get used to it. Good luck.

:giggle:

Yeah, your actually pretty right. I should of known you cant trust a guy who drives a ugly ass yellow cavalier with a unpainted body kit and huge aluminum wing. :tsk:

Looks like I’m going to get my SS after all. I was planning on getting one of the B&M ones with a poly bushing and a heavy ass Skunk2 shift knob. Hopefully I will like it better than the stock shifter.

And your friends with this guy?:run: Haha j/p

Just so you know, the B&M ITR replica knob is the same weight as the Skunk2, but is a sort of powdered finish instead of saying “skunk2” on it. And it is cheaper.