Head Bolts? 3 will not move...

OK I need a hand, has anyone who has torn down their engine for a rebuild, gotten to the point of removing the head bolts only to have several of them not budge? Ive even tried using an impact wrench, and I can’t get 3 of them removed from my B18a. Very frustrating. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Did you remove the bolts in a crisscross sequence similar to that used when tightening the bolts?

an impact probably won’t do much to those unless it’s a very high powered one. is the motor still in the car or on a stand? either way, you’ll have to use a big breaker bar (long jack handle, pipe, something like that). if it’s on a stand, you’ll need at least one more person to hold the stand for you.

Its on a stand, and I more or less did it in the order that they were tightened…but 2 of the ones that are stuck are in the ends. I’m just worried about rounding over the heads of the bolts now. If that happens I hate to think what I will have to do to get the head off.

you should worry about warping the head rather than rounding some bolts. what you need to do is put all the bolts back in, lossen them in sequence a 1/4 turn at a time.

does the nut even turn? does it look all rusted up? sometimes you will need it heated up to take them off.

No its not rusted, or at least the head isnt because it sat inside the head of the engine and was covered with oil most of the time. I’ll try throwing the bolts I have removed all back in there and try again.

oops i was thinking you just picked up an engine somewhere. well no point in putting the bolts back in. try a breaker bar or use a pipe to get more leverage.

sucks when people dont come back and say what solved their problem

ive tried everything but heat with no success

Make sure you are using a decent 1/2" drive 14mm 6 point socket then get a breaker bar and a pipe or jack handle and pull. They can be extremely tight, I have had to take an engine off the stand and have someone hold it on the floor to break them loose.:corn:

yea we tried that. also an impact, also a bolt extractor with impact and breaker bar. :frowning: no success

Get your 2 biggest friends. You aren’t pulling hard enough they will either break or loosen up… Sometimes an impact isn’t a good idea on head bolts.

socket started slipping off the head :frowning:

i’m trying not ignoring your advice

same shit happened to me 6 years ago when i blew my timing belt. tried taking the head off to inspect the damage. 3 or 4 head bolts would’nt come out for shit no matter what i tried… hand wrenches, breaker bar, impact wrench, other people/friends trying. NOTHING. ended up having to put together another motor after 2 weeks of trying to remove the head bolts. sorry man.

definitely hope it doesnt come to that cause the bolts im trying to get out is the suppose to be the GOOD motor to replace my shot one lol

well since we werent worried about the head we ended up taking material off the head that was around bolts and used a bolt extractor and got them all out with no damage to the threads

ok well i keep cracking my sockets i broke wall mart ones and husky pro series sockets and my bolt is starting to strip info please
:gunright: