info on J1 tranny?

im looking at buying a J1 tranny. im wondering what year and model did this come from and if its a good tranny to go with for an ls/vtec…gear ratios and such?

Try a search, and your post should be in the Hybrids forum.
J1 is a JDM tranny for the 89-91 B16A.

Here’s my opinion,

I got one with my B16 swap three years ago. It is great for around town but it isn’t the best idea for highway driving. The gear ratios are a good bit tighter than the tranny that came stock with our B18’s. At 80mph I’m turning about 4,800 rpm’s, which has been fine for the B16, but loud. I do a lot of highway driving and I’ve put about 60K on it (mostly highway). However, I’d be worried about sustaining those kinds of rpm’s for extended periods of time on an lsvtec due to the difference in the r/s ratio (just my personal opinion, not necessarily a big issue). There is always the option of swapping in the 5th gear out of your LS tranny if you plan on doing a lot of highway driving and you don’t plan on driving slow. It’s been done before and I’m thinking of doing it myself. That way you get the short gears (1-4) for quick acceleration and the LS 5th will drop your rpm’s some on the highway to help keep engine speeds down.