4th and 5th gear whineing

does this mean low on fluid?

ive been driving the red car and last nite i noticed the wine… u can hear it in 4th under accel and lightly under constant speed… and in 5th its extremely loud

we havent changed it in the red car yet… will be doing it friday problem (im driving the old smoker right now)

just wondering if this could mean the fluid is just old… which i doubt its been changed in a while… or could it mean the fluid leaked out?

it gets a slight grind into 5th when u dont use the clutch nothing that u can hear u can just feel a little on the shifter

if the noise is coming from the tranny its the main bearing …

i know what the main berring sounds like… the smoker has that problem… this isnt that

main berring it would make the noise when in neutral and not in gear… this one only makes the noise in 4th and 5th (which im thinking might be the gears higher up in the tranny casing?)

Add fluid to your tranny!!! The 4th and 5th gear sets are the smallest diameter gears in the tranny. Hence if the fluid is low they will be the first with out lube. I had the same problem with my Jeep. When I pulled the tranny and split the case, the 5th gear set was almost completly worn down. Oil is cheaper than a gear set and the labor to install them.

thats what i thought… im gonna see about bringing it back to my dads tomorow…

where did the fluid go tho is the question? it dont leak…

i wish honda would have put a tranny light

it would be alot easier… or a dipstick

i think its gm who has manual tranny dipsticks… and tremec who offers a low fluid light sensor

2 places to fill. The level check bolt on the passenger side of the tranny or the vent tube on the top(with a funnel and a length of small rubber tubing).
I know someone on this site will say thet you can’t fill it from the vent tube. They are full of shit, I’ve done it over 30 times, it just takes forever. Always remove the level check bolt to check the oil level. With the car level the oil should be even with the bottom of the threaded hole. If you are losing oil look for cracks in the outer tranny housing and check the axle and half shaft seals.

ive done the fluid on the smoker a few times… we havent really thought to do the tranny fluid on the new one because we planned on doing it with the axles when we replace them… but with this and i know the cost of honda tranny parts… it gave a slight grind going into 5th without the clutch… im hoping its just because of low fluid and not because of gear wear

gonna put syncromesh in it anyways… because other than that grind it never has had any problems yet… as for the seals… i wouldnt be suprized for it to be the axles seals… im just hoping it hasnt been low from when it was put back in from the clutch change with the last owner because that was like 3k miles ago… also hoping for no cracks in the tranny housing … cuz that would suck ass

also one other way to tell the main berring sound apart

it sounds like rice in can that your rolling around with the hook open… nowhere near a whine in my opinion