what year is my engine?

i just bought a 1990 2 door gs for a parts car for my 1990 4door ls race car when i purchased it i was told that the engine was replaced but he was not sure what model or year the engine was out of because he did not do it himself. now on my origanal block from my LS i have a stamped A then the numbers 1xxxxxx then b18a1 on the new one it has the numbers 2xxxxxx then HM then b18a1 my question is can anyone tell me the year of this motor i belive it is newer than 90 but not sure? and i paid 300 dollars for the car with 119,xxx miles on it it was totaled but the suspension (ibreak that all the time on my right side) the tranny and engine were perfect. is that a good deal? i also am looking at a 1994 for around 500 but think i can get it for 400 but it is an automatic. is that an ok pric for that with 176,000 miles? thanks for any help

i’m not really sure what you’re asking for the most part, but as for the new motor you were reffering to, that’s going to be a 92-93.

look on the cylinder head right above the header. There will be the last two numbers of the production year stamped there. like a 9 and a 3 for example…

^ do what quickda6 said.

but isn’t this how it goes?

b18a1 - 90-91
b18a2 - 92-93
b18b - 94-xx

btw $300 for a parts car sounds fair, I see people trying to sell the b18a block for like $300 alone or like $600 w/tranny so you have potential to make money if you want not including the other parts.

90-93 Integras are B18A1s…no A2s. And yes of course I know that in 92-93 you could get a B17A1 in the GSR… :wink:

A large difference between the 90-91 B18A1 and the 92-93 B18A1 is of course the OBD system (90-91 = OBD O, and 92-93 is OBD I). And of course there is also the 10 HP difference, etc. But that’s not the point right now.

YeYo is right about parting out the car, you can prolly make some extra cash off the parts car on here, or even better, eBay. That’s what I do :slight_smile: