Fuel system gurus, need some help! (fuel lines Q)

Hey guys!

I just got done replacing a leaking fuel line just aside the gas tank (was corroded where the bracket meets the line and was leaking, replaced it with a rubber fuel line).

Anyways, since I never found out why I had too much pressure in my gas tank ( More info on this ) I decided to check the vapor line while I was there, I ended up cutting the hose in 2 parts cause it was stuck on the fitting, and as I cut the hose, gas started to drip from the hose. If this is the vapor line, why would there be gas in it??? (I’m sure it’s the vapor line cause I applied compressed air at the charcoal canister line and air was getting out this hose) I’m know 99% sure that this is related to my gas tank pressure problem, but how could gas get in this line? isn’t there supposed to be a 2-way valve there to regulate the pressure there?? could a defective valve cause this? anyone ever messed with this valve?

TIA

Heya fellow québécois! :slight_smile: please keep all development posted as I have the same dang problem (tank going pssssssssssh when opening the cap). I do also have a really horrible fuel comsumption (with about 10$ I can drive maybe 50km max). I know that my tank is leaking gas though (the seal between the 2 halfs is getting old and lets the gas leak about 1 drop every second when it’s filled more than half of the tank). And the more gas in the tank, the biggest pssssh I get (More pressure in the tank I guess … I can even hear it from under the car since the tank is leaking air/fuel).

viz

Will do!

But on my side, the less gas in the tank, the bigger the pressure! Fix your tank first if it’s leaking! One of my buddies told me it wasn’t that bad to do… it’s not that expensive either.

yeah well, i need to get another tank which is about 215$, plus about 80$ for having someone who knows what he’s doing to install it… and of course that is before taxes (damn taxes). I’d love to do it myself and learn some stuff, but I would obviously spill gas all over the place and anyways I dont have a lift in my backyard hehe :slight_smile: where you from Answer?

Don’t need a lift to do it, but wheel ramps or jackstands are a must.

It’s pretty easy to replace, just make sure you drive it until it’s nearly out of gas. Some Hondas (I’m not sure about tegs though, I haven’t dropped a tank on one yet) also have a drain plug on the gas tank. It’s a real bitch to drop it if it’s half full, doesn’t weigh much empty.

Good time to pick up a new fuel pump too, and maybe a guage sending unit.

yeah well here winter is coming around the corner and the temp ranges from 0-5 celcius these days, its pretty yucky yucky on the floor + its raining most of the time. Although I’m no expert mechanic, I’d like to know if its easy to swap for a new one (pump, sending unit, tank). And also, I’m wondering if the straps that hold the tank come with it (mine are definately not looking strong). Do you have any idea about pricing of these parts (a whole tank setup)

viz

As far as I know, straps don’t come with the tank. When equipped nicely, replacing it should be too hard. Sure things will be rusty and could break, but it’s a simple matter of removing and putting the new one in place.

Anyone ever removed a tank and could help me with my problem?

I’ve ordered a tank for myself and will have it installed along with a new fuel filter next week … hope it fixes my problem