Oil leak near distributor

Just in front of the distributor (on a '91 B18) there is a small (2" diameter) black plastic plug of some sort. It started leaking oil, I am able to rotate it in place so it’s definitely not right.
Questions: What is it and how do I replace it? Does the entire valve cover need to be removed or just the 2 bolts that are apparently holding it down. The 2 bolts are tight but the plug still leaks/rotates.
Thanks for the help, I haven’t been able to get a manual yet.

dudley

that is a cam end plug, it is very common for them to shrink with age and not seal anymore. You can buy one at a dealer from a 96 up GSR (has a rubber O-ring to seal better) or buy one of the aluminum ones on Ebay. Valve cover has to be removed.

Do you have an opinion on which is more effective or do they all end up leaking?

i used an alum. one off ebay. it has two orings on it and fits very snug, and will never shrink. i would say the orings would be good for atleast another 10 years. you also have to take off the last came shaft holder to get the plug off and put the new one in. just to let you know. it’s very easy, but the holder is a little hard to pop off. just be gentle.

you’ll be fine with a standard rubber plug from honda (or any parts store) and some RTV sealant.

go to a parts store, tell them you need a cam plug for your year/model car, and tell them you need some RTV silicone as well. you’ll pay less for both than you would for an aluminum cam plug off ebay.

and it’ll prolly work better. :wink:

Got mine from ebay too, it’s aluminum with double rubber o-rings also. I had bought a new rubber oem plug earlier, but then I figured I didn’t want the hassle of applying the honda bond every so often like i did with my older plug so I just gave the aluminum one a try. So far it hasn’t leaked since putting on. Hondabond was still applied when it was first installed, just for good measure.

Advance auto didn’t carry any cam end plugs when I wanted one.

that’s why you go to oreilly. :up:

autozone sucks my testes. :stuck_out_tongue:

Advance is different from Autozone, and Oreillys doesn’t exist within 500 miles of me.

advance and autozone both are outlets for parts america. sad but true.

and i guess you’re just SOL about o’reilly. if only you knew someone with an oreilly nearby. :shrug:

:stuck_out_tongue:

around here at least Advance is way better than autozone, they can actually get most parts (such as the bent hoses for coolant around the IM)

our other options are Pepboys and NAPA:down:

hey don’t diss napa.

that’s where i got my studly prelude vtec rotors, with warranty, for 20 bucks each. :up:

Just go to the dealer - I think I paid $7 or $8 for a new plug, though it doesn’t have the o-ring that the ones for newer models have. Slab a little silicoln <sp> on the new one to make sure it seals good.

You’ll have to yank the valve cover and the end bearing cap for the exhaust cam. If you have leaks from your valve cover spend the $15-25 at the dealer and get a new rubber valve cover gasket too, don’t mess with any other brand of gasket.

The NAPA here is very ghetto, and they charged me $50 apiece for my stock rotors.

:shock:

sorry to hear you gots a shitty napa. :frowning:

sorry to bring this back from the catacombs of the forum, but is the honda part number for this (1996 gsr exhaust cam end plug) : 12513-P72-003?

thanks

couldn’t you just call the honda dealer tomorrow and ask them?

being that they have the part # catalog and all…

sorry, not trying to make sense or anything :shrug: