code 5 = MAP sensor

when i trun my car on the car is berly working (RPM is about 400 - 500), and it’s working like that for about half a minute and then RPM jumps up to about 1500 RPM and check engine light comes on. i check the code and it showes code 5 = MAP sensor
my question is would MAP sensor do that to the car make it work like shit and then jump that high and then the car afterwords works “OK” it still has little bit of hasitation when you shift into the gear.
BTW i drove the car for couple day like that and today on the way from work my car shut down on me it wouldn’t turn over. i change the distirbutor and it started right of way but it still runs the same.
any help would be appritiated
thanks

i changed the map sensor and the computer is still showing the same code would there be another map sensor somewhere??
btw i raset the computer

The MAP sensor is one of the most important sensors in PGM-FI. Code5 doesn’t always mean that it’s a bad sensor, it could mean that the sensor is reading something out of range.

Check the vacuum line going from the MAP sensor to the throttle body to make sure it is not cracked. You might have to pull the throttle body to ensure the port that the MAP sensor reads from is not clogged with carbon build up if have determined the hose is OK.

The Helm manual has a great section on MAP sensor trouble shooting.

thanks a lot man i’m going to check the hoses first and throttle body i have change and couldn’t buy a gasket anywhere at that point so i used gasket maker so i might have put little bit too much and clogged the hole.
one more question would that make my car hassetate under 2K RPM??
thanks