tranny question ***pleeez help***

ill try to keep it simple. At the moment, i am using my LS tranny on my LS motor. My 3rd gear is dead. madd grindage. no matter at what rpm. i have a J1 (xsi b16) tranny in my room. the diff and casing on it is fucked. also, i have a ys1 casing too. my question is>>Can i put the b16 gears into the LS case and diff?? also, if that duznt work, can i use the ys1 case and LS diff??? pleeez help!! :bang:

im not sure but i dont think the b16 gears will fit the ls SEARCH ive seen it somewhere

searched previous to posting. ive had mixed answers. some say yes, some say no. i would like to have all 4 b16 gears and keep my ls 5th if possible. i think it is, i could be wrong, but i thought i read somewhere that you can.

people swap an LS 5th into B16 tranny all the time. I think all components have to be from the same range of years (90-91 vs. 92-93) .

sounds good, the xsi tranny is a 90-91, my ls tranny is also 90-91. so would that work?

yep…

As strikeback said, people do it ALL the time.

so which can i use borintegra, lscase and diff, or ys1 case with ls diff?? some guy on HT told me that the ls case well here is what he said…“only work if you had the ys1, because the s1 has an integrated shift fork design, whereas the ys1 are all independent” duz that make sense??? im doing it in 1 week,

Ok, in general you can only swap parts w/in years. So you can swap parts in 90-91 trans, and in 92-93 trans. But you can’t put 90-91 parts into a 92-93 and vice versa. Obviously there will be some exceptions to this rule, unfortunately I do not know them all.

I know that you cannot take the internals from the j1 or from your stock 1990 tranny and put them into the ys1 case… it just simply won’t work, the shift fork design is different (as well as some other parts). Also, the diameter of the shafts are different, the 92+ trannies are larger, this is the reason for 92+ b series clutches being different from 90-91 clutches. If you want to use the ys1 case you’re going to need 92+ internals.

There is a chance you can use your stock diff, stock case, and use the j1 main and countershafts. But I cannot say for sure. If the j1 diff was OK, but just the case was messed up then you for sure could just swap cases… I’m just not positive if the diffs can be swapped, but my initial assumption would be that they can since they’re both from a small shaft tranny and they are the same final drive (4.4). I suggest that you contact .J. he probably knows more about b series trannies than anyone on this board and should be able to help you figure out your best option.

Now, on a side note… if you decide you want to sell that ys1 case, let me know. I’m in need of one since my case is broken :frowning:

why don’t you just fix your 3rd gear synchro?

others have told me that i am better off getting a new tranny. it might cost more or about the same to fis the syncro than to get a tranny. .

The cost of fixing the synchro and getting a new tranny are pretty similar, and actually fixing the old one may cost MORE than just getting another tranny (depending on what all you replace and how much labor is). However if you fix your current tranny, you’re adding a new part, if you get another trans, then you still have a used tranny. Who knows what condition its in and/or how long it’ll stay in that condition. There are pros and cons to both options. Which is better for your depends… Mainly it depends on how much you want to spend (and if you wanna spend it all at once or over time) as well as how long you want your tranny to be in good condition.

u make a good point. how much would it cost to have internals swapped into another tranny???anyone??

labor is going to vary from shop to shop… But really simply swapping internals (assuming it swaps over w/o modification) is really really really easy, so it shouldn’t take long at all. If you were familiar w/ honda trannies you could have both cases open and the gears swapped within an hour or so. As I said before… you really should talk to .J.

thanx, yeah i emailed .J. and i am waiting for a response. i would like to do this all thiis coming weekend. i didnt like being on the onramp today and going from 2nd to 4th. it just felt dangerous

if u know .J. , have em get back to me. thanxx

he’s pretty busy, but he should get back to you. I believe he’s out of town at the moment.

oh ok, and thanx for ur help colin.

no problem man, i hope you get it all worked out. And remember, if you decide to sell that ys1 case… lmk :slight_smile:

i will, and again thanx