brake fluid on alternator

Hi,

I tried a search but did not find anything like what i am experiencing. I just changed my front brake pads. In the process of pushing the calipers back into place so as to put the new pads in, my brake fluid spilled out, dripping unto the alternator.

Since then, my battery light has been coming on. I checked the output with an voltmeter and it is a bit low…however, I am wondering if it is caused by the fluid and whether or not it will go away in few days - as I read somewhere in the forum that brake fluid will evaporate.

Any suggestions?

thanks

The bad thing is that brake fluid is corrosive. You will need to replace the alternator soon.

Brake fluid is extremely corrosive - not as bad as battery acid, but still bad.

It may have eaten up the brushes in the alternator, or worse yet, eaten up the insulation on the windings.

You’ll need to rebuild/replace the alternator soon. If you have the time to experiment, pick up a rebuild kit ($20?) for the alternator and replace the brushes/bearings in it. Otherwise, pick up a rebuilt ($130ish) or new ($220-300) alternator ASAP.

thx for the replies. I picked up another alternator, however, i am reading on the site that there are alternatives to changing it without having to take out (even partial) the driveshaft - is it true that I can change it without removing the driveshaft?

Has anyone done it without removing it?

If it failed because you spilled brake fluid all over it, then the paint that they put all over the outer windings has probably been removed. Now it is probably shorting out.

As for pulling the axle to get the alt. out, I have never done it, my Alt. hasn’t failed yet. Everyone says you have to take it out, I always think that I would be able to find a way to do it without pulling it.

Then again, pulling the axle is good practice, because, those always go bad. Plus when you get good, it should only take 30 min at the most.