Car won't shift out of park...starts in neutral

I have an AT 93’ GS and its been giving me tranny problems for awhile…It grinds and won’t engage in reverse when i put the gear selecter in reverse…It revs high on startup whether motor is hot or cold…Today my car wouldn’t come out of park unless the car was off and i had the key in the tranny lock thing and i could turn my car on in neutral…The car will also start when in park, but i can’t get it out of park once its on…Any ideas? TCM? something else. I have not seen the S3 blink…Thanx for any help…

there are post on this search harder please. but for a quick anwser i have had some of these problems and i have fixed them.

the car stuck in park can be fixed with 2 or 3 zip-ties or a spare key in your car. the forum might have a way to grease it to fix it. but you put a spare key in the slot and then your car will come out of park(after the car is running of course). or you take apart the center plastic and will see where the key goes down to release it out of park. you can hold your finger over it and shift. then zip tie it down perminately. i used 2 zip ties. now when i get in my car i can shift into neutral without any key but my problem is fixed and i know what is going on.

i have to go back to work.

ill explain more later but the gear shift selector is on the opposite side and is 2 bolts and a plug to change. real easy. buy it from acura for 40 bucks and pop it on too .

the high idle thing you need to clean the IACV, the butterfly thing on the intake manifold, and check you throttle cable. seprate issue

so explain exactly what the problem is. now you cant get it back to park. that should be the gear shift selector. do you have the middle area exposed?

read this and search some of the things i have mentioned. then ask agian. i can help if not someone

I’ve searched pretty good for auto problems related to my problem and haven’t run across…

My main problem is i can’t get my car out of park except through the use of the shift lock key thing…
With that said, I found out that now my car will start when in neutral, which it never did before. my thinking is that there is some electrical issues or computer issues and maybe not mechanical issues…I was thinking the neutral safety switch or the equivalent on a auto(the switch that prevents the vehicle from being started in anything but park) is not working. I have no clue, but i want to fix it properly. Thanx for the help and i’ll keep searching around…

ok …if you cant get it out of park you have the 3 options i said.

use a spare key in the slot(you already know that one)

the zip tie thing i said. which i did and is a great fix as long as you know you did this. so right now i can sit in my car and shift through any gear with out any keys anywhere. (bad if say you hit it out of park, but i know it is there so i dont knock it or if i feel like it is a hill i hit the emergency in case) the ziptie holds down the lever that the key slot pushes in.

3rd option is grease the thing which i read about only. i read on gen2 somewhere that dust and 14years make it stick so when you start your car it does take like 2-5 minutes to ingage which it is just heating up. i didnt know what to fix exactly so i did the zip tie and love the cheap fix.

if you figure this out tell me how you did it because it will help me.
was that the main problem you are looking to fix? it your key will not come out imediatelyit is the gear shif selector thingy. and if you cant get your car back to park it is the tranny cable which connects to the gear shift selector. and i did the break master cylinder too if you need help

I’m doing the zip tie thing for now…The grease it up thing you mentioned doesn’t make sense, atleast in my case because warming up has no effect on whether i can get my car out of park without the key in the shift-lock override or not…i’ve already tried that… i’m going to talk to some acura techs and ask some guys in the shops what they think it might be and check for anything little that might cause this…

My problem again was that once my vehicle is put in park i can’t depress the button on the shifter all the way in to get out of park…

Thanks…what’s your email so i can ask you about changing the master brake cylinder…

since your car can st art in park, just not shift out of park. try checking that brake switch (forgot what its called). not the brake light switch but that safety thing.

cool. keep me updated if you find a better fix. but when i didnt do it i would let the car warm up and the p light was not on. i pressed the break and kept pushing my shift forward and finaly it would hit P and i could shift out.

gregwhitson@yahoo.com

and i can tell you how i did the break master cylinder. i am doint it agian soon becuase of the alternator i put in.

I will check that brake switch, but don’t think that is a problem because then i wouldn’t be able to shift from drive to reverse, and i am able to do so…This is a pain in the ass…how much was that master brake cylinder…
thanx…

Just finished talking to an acura tech buddy over at cerritos acura and he told me it was more than likely that brake switch…so that’s what i’ll do when get the ends to buy the part…

thanx for the help…

i dont know anything on the break switch.

you have mail. ask me more on this because if i am unclear. that would not suprise me

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7932961077&category=33566

thanx bro

tried resetting ECU and everything…Worked temporarily, but after about 1/2 a day the tranny went back on its rag…

so what worked when you reset it? you could get it out of park?

when i reset the ecu, my shifter worked fine…i’ve said fuck it for now until i have some more time to look into it…thanx tho…

If your throttle position sensor (TPS) is bad you’ll also have trouble shifting from park. Same if your throttle cable is binding or too tight - which with it revving high, is very possible.

The ECU prevents you from shifting out of park - even with your foot on the brake - if it thinks your foot is on the gas. Any AT owner can verify this - put your foot on the brake in park, blip the throttle several times, and you’ll hear the shift lock solenoid clicking to prevent it from coming out of park every time you blip the throttle.

As for grinding in reverse - either it’s revved up too high or your tranny is about to die :violin: :frowning:

well i’ll look into all that and that tranny only has about 40,000 miles on it…so it shouldn’t be ready to roll over and die…
thanx