Whining Noise?

OK, so I’ve recently bought my '91 GS…bone stock, haven’t had a chance to do anything to it…yet. 230,000km on the clock.

Strange little thing that is buggin me is a whining sound that keeps tempo with the revs on the engine…like, when i push on the gas, I hear this sort of “whinnne” or “whizzzzz” sound that speeds up as then engine revs up. Kinda hard to describe. Not sure what I could be? A pulley or belt? A bearing? A vacuum leak? The car runs fine. It used to have a bit of a wondering idle problem, but I replaced the plugs and it seemed to go away. It’s got me stumped. :hmm:

I’m used to the G1’s, since I’ve had one forever and I still love that POS. And of course, Integra’s in general just make me hard, so I HAD to have a G2…but this problem…dunno…not sure if I wanna keep the car unless I can solve it.

while under the hood and the engine running… pull the throttle open and try and isolate where its coming from… could be a belt thats to tight

Could be tranny? You might want to check fluid level? if fluid is low you may have a trans seal gone bad? Just a thought? Good luck!

take it to honda

it could be trans could be alt,could be oil pump,could be power steering

I’m having the same problem. I’m assuming it is the alt. The best way to eliminate the power steering pump and alt as the culprit is by simply removing the belts and running the car without them. I would suggest you do one belt at a time to isolate. Starting with the power steering belt since you have to remove it to get the alt belt off. If the noise is still there when you remove the power steering belt, remove the alt belt. If the noise is gone when you remove the alt belt, you know it’s your alt.

Good luck.

Is this happening all the time or just randomly? I randomly get the same type of whining sound that goes up and down with the revs, and I’m pointing the finger toward a vacuum leak that’s giving me a rough idle and CEL. Just haven’t had a chance to pinpoint and fix it.

I wouldn’t say that as of yet, because i sometimes too get the same whine, and i have a perfect idle (for me). Im wondering if it could be clutch related, because I know mine is sure to go soon.

the whine could be because the radio is not grounded very well…thats one cause. another thing i noticed on my car was i get a whining noise if the boot that holds the speedo cable in the firewall is not seated properly. remember keep it simple first, then try the more complicated stuff.