Runs really sluggish after timing belt change. (Timing may be off)

Ok i had my timing belt changed and now it is REALLY REALLY SLUGGISH. I guess this means my timing is off or they did not set the cams up right… i heard if your timing is off you can bend valves and damage the motor… what should i do, have it towed back to the shop? Do you think i damaged my motor already? cause i did drive it a little after… How would i know if i bent valves or did any other damage?
is timing adjustment an easy fix, how much will it cost cause i am thinking about taking it to the dealer cause i took it back to the shop i had it done at and they didnt really correct the problem much.

Most likly if damage was done its already happened, but i still wouldnt drive it cuz the belt may be loose and it may jump another tooth. But then again, whatever happens sounds like its the shops fault, get it down there however you can and chew them out!

My timing belt snapped just as i was taking of on a green light. 300 hundred dollars later my baby is running strong again at 235,422 miles. :naughty:

BUt yeah I guess you can go to the shop that changed your timing belt and tell them everything, and that you going to sue them etc… anything that will make them scare to death and fix all the damage they did to one poor tegg.

:slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue:

yep… take it back… they didn’t do the job right… you paid for it…

Call them and complain, see if they will pay for the tow back. Damage would have been done as soon as the car was running, but as said it could jump a tooth if pushed hard, so best to not drive it much if at all.

Any updates? I wanna know what happens!!

if you are bored , and a little mechanically inclined , pull the valve cover off and turn the motor over to TDC, once their you should have 13 teeth between the two marks on the tops of the cam gears. if that is ok and the belt feels tight , get a timing light and check the timing, i liked mine at 18 but only if you wanna run 93 octane.

I took it back to the shop today with my cousin who is a motorcycle mechanic. (I should have had him do the job in the first place but was told not to because family and business dont mix). Anyway, my cousin told the people at the shop (STRAUSS AUTO) that they told me a bunch of bullsh*t and the only problem could be the timing. The people said it should stop being sluggish after they put in the code for the engine maintainance light but my cousin said that is bull and they have to make it right. They still have the car so i am waiting on the results. If there is still a problem i am gonna ask for a refund on the labor and the cost of the belt and belt idler and tensioner… i know i cant ask for the refund on the water pump cause that part is working

Good job, your cuz is right, a maint. light making your car run sluggish HAHAHA…They probably asked to keep it so they can fix their mistake without you knowing it…you should sneak by somtime and check on it lol.

I dont know what you can do if they dont give you your money back, I guess you caould report them, or just get a bunch of us together! lol I hate shady mechanics…

CAR RUNS GREAT YALL… they fixed he problem… thanx for your help

How much did u pay to get the timing belt changed? b/c the shop is telling me it will cost approx $800+ b/c there could be valve damage.

what did they do to fix the prob???
:hmm:

set the timing properly? :think: