Grinding noise, louder with speed...

Could a bad axle be causing a kinda of griding noise that is audible inside my cabin and increases with speed, not engine speed, car speed.

Im trying to narrow down possibilits of this noise, its sounds like a grinding sand noise coming from down by my left foot. Its really loud somtimes, and somtimes its not there at all. I just hope its not my axle rubbing up against somthing, the axel is fairly new and the boots are in good condition, and i cant spot any wear by looking at it.

Thanks

Matt

Does it get louder/quieter when cornering somewhat hard? If you notice it gets louder when turning right, then it’s most likely your left (drivers) wheel bearing/hub. This would be my first guess with the symptoms you are

My second inclination is that your axle could possibly be bad (especially likely if it was a remanufactured, which 90% of them are unless they’re OEM from the dealer). Do you have a warranty on the axle???

~Eric

A former memeber on here owned the car and installed this axle…its no more than a year or 2 old, and the one on the passenger side i had replaced when i did my clutch, just because I would rather have it done when everything was apart…

But i suspected wheel bearings, but i did all the tests to check wheel bearings, i dont feel any movment when i push on the wheel when its off the ground, i even lifted the front end, put it in gear and let the idle of the engine spin the tires as i listened, nothing, thats why i think it may be somthing else, but it could very well be the bearing.

No it doesnt click at all, and no i dont think the noise gets any worse while cornering, but i havnt been paying attention latly, so ill check.

Thanks

easy check look at your cv boot to see if its ripped or torn if it is you need a new boot and possibly cv axle/joint. aim me at oz7777777 if ya got any questions

did you check the rear wheel bearings as well?

could it be your drivers side brakes, or check to see if your upper arm is scraping the inside fender liner. or not… lol

No I didnt check the rear bearings, its pretty obvios that its coming from the front…

And I redid my entire brakes myself (lines, rotors, pads) and it did this before and after the change, and I know its not a shim scraping, cuz that did happen and i had to take it back apart and rip that damn thing off, broke one of the caliper bolts because i didnt bring my manual and my dad told me the wrong number over the phone…waited 2 days for acua to overnight the bolt and spent an assload on that little bolt…lol Sorry, rant :smiley:

im just mentioning to check the rear bearings from experiance . sometimes what you hear or feel inside the car isn’t coming from were you think it is. my uncle has done mechanic work for years and he mentioned to me once that a bad rear wheel bearing sometimes sounds like its somthing wrong up front.

and it only takes f ew seconds to check.

and when you did the brakes were the sliders okay? because ive seen a seized slider kill a set of pads in less than 2 weeks. and give you a squeel or a grinding noise.