B18a1 --- B18b1

i have a 90LS with a B18A1 200+K miles on it… it runs well but i have the opportunity to get my hands on a B18B1 with full exhaust for $500

should i take it or not?

i think they make just about the same HP so i was also think maybe i should just take the tranny cuz i dont want to have to deal with finding matching wire connections and all that.

please add your :twocents:

How many miles on the B? if that is $500 for a full swap, it is a good deal.

Go for it.

Some things to keep in mind though.

You’ll have to use your existing B18A fuel injectors and distributor - 92+ had different components that won’t work with your existing ECU.

You’ll also need to rewire your fan tempurature switch - 90-91 had the switch on the block, 92+ has it on the thermostat housing. The easiest way around that is to use the B18A thermostat housing that connects to the water pipe, and the B18B thermostat housing cover that holds the switch. Then all you need to do is to change the plug and relocate your wiring for the switch.

<edit>If you get the tranny - a newer auto won’t work in your car (electronics are different)… if it’s 5 speed, you’ll have to swap the speed sensor and pick up a cable → hydraulic conversion kit.

i’m also doing a swap. i have a 92 DA swapping in a 2000 DC motor.

i thought they were both obd1? the only difference in distributors would be if it came off the b17a ,no?

90-91 is OBD0, 92-95 is OBD1

stateofbean: can you give a little better description on how to do the obd0 to obd1 swap? i know you put it pretty much as simple as possible, but i did a 95 swap into my 91 and i’m worried that the wires are all fucked. pictures if possible would be PERFECT!