YS1 Oil Change GS-R 93 USDM ?

This is my first post, so pardon me if I am being a little naive, but I have a question which came up while I changed the transmission oil in my 5 speed GS-R YS1. I bought the car about 8 months ago, and have been loving it. The first incarnation of VTEC in the US market? Except for the NSX of course. She makes me writhe with pleasure at 6000-8000 rpm, and below that too she is just a smooth, tight little car.

OK, but back to the oil. I took out the fill plug after I had driven the car just to nominal temp, and oil began to gush out. I mean, not a real huge flow, but it probably dropped half a quart or so on the cardboard underneath. I was sort of amused, but I kept working and drained out the rest after removing the drainbolt. The oil looked really good, I don’t know what kind, but it was translucent while draining into a dish, and just a little dark after inspection. I put in some synthetic oil, mathced with the engine oil, which I will not mention the name of because you guys seem to talk shit about it. I feel it is good stuff. Anyway, what happened with the oil splurgling out? Is it because of entrained air volume or something? It was only luke warm when I drained it.
Thanks for any advice…
undefined
Adam :bow:

well first things first, you dont put motor oil into your transmission. (not sure if that’s what you meant by “matched”) i’m pretty sure there’s a difference, but i dont know the specifics and i could be wrong altogether, lol. you can pick up a few quarts at your local honda or acura dealer. other people also use redline tranny oil, which is harder to find, but its supposed to be really good.

i’m not sure how they filled the transmission oil up so high, but i guess if you had the car tilted up on the right more oil would be able to leave via the fill plug. its usually ideal to have the car level when filling the transmission.

My tranny takes 10w30 same as my engine.

From Haynes:

FLUID RECOMMENDATIONS

All manual transaxles use engine oil labeled for SE use. Use 10W-30 or 10W-40 viscosity; the 10W-40 viscosity is the safer recommendation, especially driving frequency is at high speeds for prolonged periods in hot weather.

Yes, the helms manual recommends that you use normal motor oil. However that was before honda started recommending thier manual transmission fluid. Normal 10w30 will work just fine, honda made something better, so it would be better to use Honda MTF.

As for the fluid leaking out… that could be caused by a couple things

1. Car not level
  2. Tranny was previously over-filled

If it was only a little bit of fluid, then it could be either one. However if its a decent amount that came out, I’d guess that the tranny had been over-filled before.

well i guess i am wrong about using motor oil in your tranny. live and learn! :clap:

[QUOTE=cdmgsr111]well first things first, you dont put motor oil into your transmission. (not sure if that’s what you meant by “matched”) i’m pretty sure there’s a difference, but i dont know the specifics and i could be wrong altogether, lol. you can pick up a few quarts at your local honda or acura dealer. other people also use redline tranny oil, which is harder to find, but its supposed to be really good.

i’m not sure how they filled the transmission oil up so high, but i guess if you had the car tilted up on the right more oil would be able to leave via the fill plug. its usually ideal to have the car level when filling the transmission.[/QUOTI

I use motor oil…but hey at least you know the right info now!

transmission oil doesn’t get anywhere near as hot as the oil in your engine unless you’re driving in races or drive long drives in high heat areas.

A personal observation: I had motor oil in my 92 RS tranny, and there was grinds between gears. I put Honda MTF in, and no more grinds. Go figure. My tranny has 263K miles btw, and doing just fine. If you develop grinds inbetween gears, switch to Honda MTF or GM Syncromesh FM. I have also heard of many other Teg owners who had grinds with regular oil and no grinds with Honda MTF or GM Syncro, good luck.

trans grinds

i don’t really have them, except for into reverse, if I am moving when I pop it into reverse. I figure this is just stupidity, and a function of the fork into reverse trans design. it is not designed to go into R when moving? Right? Maybe not. No big deal it seems anyway, it would just be quicker to get in and out of shit to be able to hit reverse in motion, verdad?