overheating problem....

I have a minor overheating problem…
The car was running fine, until I would get on the freeway or something (i.e constant speed @ medium RPM) As soon as i got up to speed, it would start to cool off… After about 5 minutes of freeway driving, the temp gauge showed completly cold. This killed my gas milage because it was running rich. So today I put a new thermostat in it. No biggie, and it all went back together perfectly… I got to test drive it, and it is running just fine until I come to a stop light. While sitting at the light, the temp gauge started showing really hot (almost pegged). When I get the engine running faster at all, the temp drops, but as soon as i go back to idle, the temp climbs again. Anybody have any ideas as to what I did wrong to cause the overheating?

That sounds like low coolant to me. Did you remember to refill your radiator ?

yep… refilled the radiator… :shrug:

BTW: If I start it and let id idle, it warms up fine and stays that way… only overheats when sitting idle after driving!

make sure your fan is coming on
bleed the little screw on the head

what screw on what head?

Left side, bleeder screw, can’t miss it, bleeds the air out of your head and needs to be done anytime your radiator fluid gets low. You should invest in a cheap Haynes manual($15).

bleeding done… but this never said anything about bleeding the system. Of course, I never even thought about it though either! Hopefully this will take care of the problem!

P1010042.JPG

Yeah it does say to bleed, it just doesn’t use that word. I think it says to loosen that bolt and fill coolant until a steady stream comes out, then you lock the screw. :wink:

Yeah I’d suggest on making sure your fans are coming on too.

yea… my bad! It does not say anything about bleeding the system in the part about replacing the thermostat… it does say that in the part about replacing the radiator though! oops… and I still need to check on the fans… first thing tomorrow.

same thing happened to me once, first things first, do the bleeding, ill almost guarantee thats your problem.

could be many reasons. save the headache and pay someone to check it.
1] headgasket
2]waterpump
3]the owner before you
etc.
etc.
etc.

water pump would constantly over heat… headgasket would see white smoke out of the tail pipe and chances are he would be out of coolant by now, and what does the owner before him have to do with anything? as long as he keeps up with maintenece he should be good cooling system wise

Bleeding the system worked… I just got back from a “spirited” drive, and it is running beautifully. It warmed up just fine, and stayed centered. amazing how a little air can screw stuff up.

Hey pleather. Go take some classes smart guy. If the headgasket was broke between cylinders 2 and 3 = no smoke. Seeming you personaly have had problems with previous owner fixing wrong part 4 times, you should go … and I am glad you fixed the problem pbraile.

i have bleeded the system and on me it still does the same.

sorry for taking over the thread, but you already fix the problem and i haven’t.

I already changed my waterpump thinking that would fix it and it’s good on coolant. :bump:

Its all yours… Good luck with your problem.

well ricoh, lets hear your symptoms, every problem is unique.

My simptons are.

Drive some time on freeway and right after i get off and stop at a stop light the needle starts to rise. HOwever if i hit the RPM’s the needle slowly goes back to normal.

If I drive on freeway for some 20 minutes and get off it does it. But if I drive on freeway pretty far the needle sits at normal temperture.

I have changed my waterpump, bleed the system, change the coolant, and have flushed it too. :hmm:

thermostat…

How old is the radiator? Did you flush the radiator backwards? Ie top to bottom. Try taking it out and flushing bottom to top.