Bad A/c Compressor bearings

My a/c compressor is making some grinding/slapping noises, i think the bearings are shot. Could the bearings be replaced with out taking freon out? Or would all the freon have to come out to put new bearings in. When the car is running you can see the pulley move to the right and to the left, about this far -. What are my options? Thanks.

get a new compressor i got an extra 1 if you wanna buy it

could the bearings be replaced without removing the freon? The whole thing is I dont want to take any freon out, because I would have to (better off) retrofit it for $400.

ill do it for 250. with the compressor

ES-12a or Freeze 12. charging kits and cans for less than $50.

what do you mean, my mechainc is charging me $400 with the new dryier. Or do you mean youll work on it for me?
strikeback03 : But I then need a vaccume pump, which I don’t have.

no you don’t. those are direct replacements for R-12

dryier??you mean condenser?i have a everything you need for 134 ill install it an charge it with 134a for 250

and a new compressor? are you guaranteeing for it to work? I thought you had to change the dryer too. where in deleware are you located? Kinda far ride, ill let you know by tuesday.

yes, if you release the freon from your system you need to replace the drier. it’s the small silver metal “can” that sits underneath your power steering fluid reservoir. the second you disconnect the lines you run the risk of getting moisture in the dryer.

too bad you’re not local. i got 3 cases of r-12 sittin in the garage with no car to go in (no more a/c on my teg hehe). :shrug:

yea that sucks…

IM right over the bridge in Wilmington.
at my shop when we change over a/c systems first we pull all the freon an oil out with a 134 machine, put new 134 fittings on, 3-4 oz’s ester oil an whatever amount of freon the car calls for. we only change the condensers if the person/people want to it’s better if you do but its not necessary. it will work!!! i did about 15 cars this summer.i do have r-12 if you just wanna change the compresser.

When you change the compressor it is also a good idea to change the reciever-drier, as there could be contamination in it. Your condensor is in front of the radiator and behind a/t trans cooler, if it looks like a pimple faced transexual you should change it. You don’t want to spend $400 dollars and have the retrofit, the opperating pressure of 134 are what causes malfunctions in these early Honda ac system. My .04

exactly, not retrofitting properly (i.e. the exact way ronron has been doing it) can lead to all sorts of problems in the long run. sure, it may work for one summer…but then you’ll just have to recharge the next summer. which costs more money.

i’ve recharged 3 cars with straight r-12, and the most recent one was 6 years ago. none of them have needed a recharge since. conversely, i’ve done 2 the way ronron claims is “fine”, and both have had recharges needed every year since. :down:

I haven’t gotten around to fixing my AC on my integra yet, but I used the home conversion kit on my old pontiac. held the system under vacuum for about 45 min to clean out the dessicant bed, then swapped fittings and added refrigerant. lasted the 4 years until I sold the car.

r0nr0n: i think ill wait on getting it done, and will just pull the belt for now.
Thanks Everyone for your replies

sorry i got cunfussed on what i was sayin i didnt mean condensor.(i do that alot) that is the 1 thing i dont have but i do have everything else lines, compresser,(DRIER) fittings

Replacing the compressor’s your best bet. That happened to me like 6 months ago. And as for the freon, you can just get the charging kit from Wal-Mart and do it yourself. It’s pretty simple. See, when you take the compressor out, you will have to drain out the freon anyways so save yourself the money and get the recharge kit. And it’s actually a good time to switch to R-134A too. Some people have claimed that R-134A is not as cold, but I don’t think there’s a difference. It’s not like the New England area can get really hot anyways, right? :smiley:

if you needed to recharge it then some azz aint doing his job right.theres a leak somewhere put some dye in it an find the problem , FYI i do retrofit it properly i got confused on my words i meant to say accumulator AKA drier try using the proper word. excuse me Dick