What is a "cat-back exhaust" and what does it do?

I don’t know if this was covered, but i have read a few times “just installed cat back …” how does that differ from a normal exhaust? When i bought my car, i got a stock muffler because the original one have a hole in it. Comparing a stock muffler (that is relatively quiet) to a Cat-Back exhaut, what’s the diff?

I know just changing a muffler on a car does not change the performance, just the noise, you have to change the headers, and the cat, Air filter, etc etc…

clue me in here! :shrug:

its just an exhaust set up that runs from the catalyic converter all the way to the exhaust tip. you can buy a name brand set up for anywhere between 300-500 bucks or go to a local muffler shop and get them to custom make you one if you’re tight/smart with money.

Has all the piping and stuff to go from (not including) the cat conv to the muffler. It’s a bolt on mod, which is one reason it’s so popular… looks like this:

larger piping, free flow muffler, sometimes removes intermidiate resonators (depending on brand and type), new, looks pretty, DIY bolt on, can have hp increase effect (especially when combined with headers, etc), less back presure than stock setup or just a free flow muffler… can’t think of anything else.