X

92 distributor, need help

Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

92 distributor, need help

Hi there, I have a 92 gs throwing code 9. I opened the distributor (3 screws, I believe this part that the plug wires plug into is the "cap") expecting to find the copper shavings everyone talks about. None. Everythings covered in rust dust, which I wiped down with a dry cloth, but I cant get the cover/shield off, because the part that spins and makes contact with the studs in the cap is on over the shield. I dont want to pry the spinner off and mess up timing or break it, I don't know what screws I can remove without throwing off timing, and I don't have time right now (gotta go to work in a minute) to pull the distributor completely and learn as I go. I searched and only found pics for a 91, which looks different than mine. I'm pretty well mechanically inclined, I've just never looked into distributors before. I do have a timing light if I need to pull anything that will require readjusting the timing, but as I've never done it before, I'd rather not just jump into it. Thanks in advance.

Yes, the wires plug into the cap, and the rotor is the one that spins. The rotor has a screw on its shaft that must be taken out first before you start to yank on it. The screw can only be accessed when the rotor is in a certain position allowing a screwdriver to pass thru the cover. Blip the starter over to get the rotor in this position, then the rest is cake. Good luck. And a $15 manual from any auto parts store would do you wonders.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'll look at it in the morning. I have the real, original, printed in japan honda manual, but its for a 90-91, and it was the only one at the used books store, and was only $6. If anyone has a 92-93 book and a 90-91 car, I'd be happy to trade.

Comment

Working...
      X