need help, serious electrical problem

havent found anything in the forums that really helped. this is more than just a engine wont start problem. i have a b17a with msd 6al, blaster 2 coil, magnecor wires.

my car was running fine. then i decided to do the fix bouncing tach teg tip. i cleaned off the tips of my dizzy cap and rotor, put everything back to together and the car wouldnt start. so i changed the cap and rotor and still no luck. i’ve also changed my spark plugs. ignitor was changed about a year ago when i installed the msd and blaster coil.

then this morning before i started, i poured some soda on my positive battery terminal to get rid of some deposits. after, i sanded off the rest of the crap and everything is nice and shiny and connected nice and tight.

now, my stereo and lights work, but my starter, windows, and alarm no longer have power. also my vafc doesnt turn on in the on2 position. it does not crank, but i can hear it start to crank for a split second from try to try. the vafc also gets a tiny burst of power as well (i see the leds for the buttons light up for split second). i’ve checked all the fuses and don’t see any problems there. i’ve also tried jump starting, but it still doesnt crank.

in another post i mentioned the set of wires coming out of the front of the block was completely burned aparted by my header. but the burn looks old and my car ran without it.

in the morning i will completely replace the battery terminals and probably the whole battery as well. any input would help. thanks in advance.

have u tryed a rolling start?
well i would change the battery just to be sure
bump for same setup in same city:)
msd 6al with blaster2 and magnacore comp wires LOL

btw… where did u mount ur coil?>
currently mine is ziptied to the wireharness near shortram: (

i have a cai, so i stuck it between the pipe and the left wall of the engine. it doesnt move around. whats worse is my 6al is just sitting in a slot between the firewall and above the fuel filter where most people mount it. except mine isn’t “mounted” lol :ghetto:

i havent tried rolling start. cause it wasnt getting any spark. (bubbling sound coming from exhaust when the engine is cranking) i’ve had that problem before and it was just the cap and rotor. this time it didnt help. and the more i tinkered with the car the more thigns are going wrong! really sucks… :argh:

ignition switch…

“starter, windows, alarm” “vafc in on2” not working, all sounds like the ignition switch from acc to on is damaged, or worn… or coroded…

you can… try to hotwire it, if it comes to that last hope…

lol!!!

mount it on the firewall its easy man

i learned this at school, im not sure if it applies to all external coils, but your not suppost to mount them anyway other then straight up. because there is special oil/grease/di-electric grease, whatever… some type of oil to keep the coil from overheating…

just word of caution that i got from a teacher…

another thing kev, my alarm is responding at all. i’m going to have to double check all the fuses again this weekend (and not in the dark). hopefully something blew.

my coil is mounted at like a 75-80 angle. much like soontobe2ndGEN’s setup, except mine is tucked further down.

btw, thanks for the feedback guys. i hope i get the car working this weekend so i can show up the meet the week after! :rockon:

good luck…

also, other then push starting, you can try to jump it aswell…

and also, dont go overboard, thinking it’s bigger things, start from A, then B, then make your way up. start with the basics… “K.I.S.S. - keep it simple stupid”

i ran into that type of problems before… hehe, tried everything, ripped the dash apart, cut wires, tried to hot wire my own car, then it was all just grounding from the battery to the chassis…

already tried a jump start, tried grounding to both the battery and the block. starter wasnt getting any juice.

i can’t really push start it either, cause i live on a hill. getting it down is no big deal, but pushing is back up is gonna be a biatch! lol

starter no juice? is the starter good still?

have you checked your plugs? the ones that are on the passenger side of the motor. it should be one big harness, like a circle shaped harness, then have another harness with that, that is a 2 prong. it may have more since ur obd-1, but that controls the starter also. if it was unplugged, or if you had a open anywhere in there for the starter, it wouldnt work.

i cant think of what would be wrong in the area of the distributor and coil assembly which you played with that might cause this…

from an electrical standpoint it sounds as if you maybe shorted something? something with a “medium resistance” in comparison to the rest of the engine which caused all the current to fly through there instead of to the other important parts of the car? I would find someone with a VERY similar setup integra, have them unplug the battery, test for resistance between the ground and battery +, and then check it on your car. If it’s drastically different, then that would cause something like that. On a side note, I have a feeling the resistance may be screwed up because of the distributor air-resistance and spark plug air-resistance, and if you did stuff anywhere in that electrical loop your not going to want to buy resistance meters for that kind of resistance… so maybe a last shot if your clueless kind of thing? (I know, probably won’t help, but I figured I would tell you anywase just in case).

ok, i finally got another chance to take a look at the car. i double checked all fuses and played around in the dash and the in the engine area to look for loose or disconnected wires. nothing caugh tmy eye.

heres the list of things that do work, and things that don’t:

works: radio, headlights, instrument lights, interior lights, clock, power mirrors, amp and subs.

does not work: alarm, vafc(possibly ecu also), turn signals, windows, sunroof, starter

im currently looking through my chiltons electrical diagrams to hopefully trace it to something. once again, if anyone can help, that’d be a lifesaver! tia

I was going to say check your fuses, but it sounds like you already have… Look in your manual to see what systems (windows, mirrors, signals, sunroof, etc) are on the same relay then start testing… I dont know what to say, if I still lived in the bay id come over and help, but i cant… youll fix it eventually obviously, its just a matter of when. Hope you make it to the meet
-steve

have you tried disconnecting the alarm harness and just starting the car? its a long shot but worth the try. i’d take the starter out and have it tested since its not cranking.

still sounds like the ignition switch…

that’s what i think…
cause windows, turn signals, starter, & sunroof are all turned on by the ignition switch turned to the “on” position…
its like that in my pathfinder at least…

does your alarm have a start kill switch?

thanks for the input guys. i think im gonna give up. i pulled out some of the major fuses to see fi there were any differences. no luck there either, so its not the fuses. it’s probably some kind of relay, but i guess i dont really have the time or equipment to play around with the car anymore.

guess i gotta suck it in and take it(tow it) to a shop. :bang:

one last attempt, i ripped most of the front dash out. read on autozone that the main relay was behind the cluster (its not, its underneath). so i took that part out for nothing. :bang:

but anyways im going to change out that relay. its a black box which a wire harness with 2 small wires coming out. it says MITSUBA and some numbers on it.

if that still doesnt work, then im definitely gonna give up.

I have the same problem, no power at windows, sunroof, wipers, or turn signals.

holy ancient thread batman

seriously though, this is ancient…