Engine sounds like a MACHINE GUN !

like 5 days ago, i drove through a puddle of water and the engine shut off. the oil light and the battery light came on so i just pushed the car into a parking lot and left it there.

the next day i started the motor and it started, but it sounded just like a machine gun.

i was pretty sure a lot of water got in my engine (since i have a CAI) so i changed the oil and tried to start it again, but it still sounded the same.

did this happen to any of you guys?

please give any advice.

hey my engine sounded rought… like something similar to a machine gun I guess… I blew a rod… so my engine is gone… well the bloke… take it down the road and get on it, if it blows you threw a rod :wink:

yeah

pull the spark plugs and then crank the engine… the starter will push out moust of the water… then let it dry out … put the plugs back in… and give it a shot.

if you have some compressed air… try spraying it in to help dry it.

I hydro-locked mine about 6 months ago, same symtoms. Your rod is bent and making contact with either the crank or the piston skirt. Some get lucky, and drive their car easy, and the rod will make noise and performance suffers, but they drive it anyway. I on the other hand, didn’t want to drive the car with substandard performance and never knowing when it was gonna give out on me.

So here is what I did, and I was really broke at the time, thats why corners where cut:
Had the car towed to my house.
Came up thru the oil pan to identify any damage. #1 Rod was bent.
Drained fluids, disconnected everything from the head and removed.
Unbolted the bent rod and pushed it up thru the cylinder with a wooden hammer.
Purchased new rod from dealer, holy cow, $133 bucks.
Took new rod and old rod with piston to machine shop to press on new rod.
I managed to get the new piston and rod combo into the cylinder without a ring compressor.
I put the head back and oil pickup and pan back on the motor.
Took me 3 days for entire ordeal, and I am no mechanic, this is the first time ever pullin a head or doing any internal engine work.

O.K. let the flaming begin because I used the same old rings, old head gasket, old oil pan gasket and left all the original bearings.

After only replacing the rod, and nothing else, I put it all back together and she started on the first crank and has been run to redline ever since for the past 5,000 miles. Doesn’t burn oil, doesn’t leak, runs like a champ again.

Call me lucky, oh, and my RS had 258K when hydrolocked, and has 263K now. Good luck to you, and buy a cheap manual for torque specs and order of bolt removal and installation.

thanks for all the help guys. :smiley:

my mechanic just told me that i did have a bent rod, so i guess i’ll have to do what sam92teg did.

anyone have an extra rod laying around?

can i use a rod thats made for the B18C motor on my B18A?

no you can’t, has to be from any ls motor, b18a/b.

thanks everyone for the input

i actually did end up with a bent rod in piston #1, but its all fixed now so i’m happy again. :smiley:

i’m just gonna cut my cold air intake and make it into a short ram just incase it happens again… :ok:

get the AEm bypass… don’t waste your money(UNLESS the CAi was cheap)

haha, yea my intake’s a cheap one from ebay.

i already cut it and it works great. :smiley: