bogs, bad idle, black spark plug after puting head in.

well i broke a spark plug and pieces of it went inside the piston so i remove the head and took the broken pieces out… cleaned my piston cause they were kinda black, cleaned my valve also… then when i replace the head back onto the bottom and start the car… Car didn’t idle right and bogs… checked new spark plug and seems that all four spark plugs were really black… what does it mean when they are really black? also are those little rocket arm suppose to be in some type of position because they are numbered but i didn’t know the sequence, they all look alike so i just place em randomly… Timing seems right… Well i can’t seem to figure out the problem and a little input or advice would help? thank you…

Spark Plug

I wish I could help on the other stuff my knowledge is kinda :down:

can’t help you with those rocker arms, but i do know that black spark plugs usually means that you are running rich. in the event that they actually have oil or oil residue, then you are burining oil which means you either got a leaking head gasket or really worn rings.

thanks for the input guys… well it turns out that my number 3 and 4 plugs were not giving in enough power… mechanic guy says it might be a leaking head gasket, ring, or valve… sucks cause i hate taking out the head, its like my 4th time taking it out already… I’m guessing it might be my head gasket cause before my valves were in good condition and i did nothing with it so their should be nothing wrong… hopefully i find out my problem by this week… any more input would help… thanks…

i bet your timing is off. you can not be sure that you didnt miss a tooth when you put the head back in. all the marks got to line up thats with the crank mark too. so unless you took off all the covers for the timing belt and checked everything when you put it back in. before you jump to something big and waste your money if thats not it. try a leak down test and see if theres any signs of a bad head gasket.