Engine stumbles off idle

I have a '91 GS auto w/ 122k miles. Recently it has developed a stumble when accelerating from a idle. I guess the best way to describe it is a miss, maybe lasting about 1.5 seconds and then no more until the car stops and then accelerates again from an idle. It does not do it every time but it is fairly frequent. I have changed the fuel filter but that did not help. I have also had the IACV off for cleaning a few thousand miles ago. It seems to be fuel/air related but I am not sure what to check. Anyone experienced this and what did you do to correct?

teggs91

I’ve gotten that with two cars now it is your plugs and/or plug wires. If you know someone who has a teg, prelude or accord try on their plug wires to see if that’s the problem. Both times the wires where the problem for me. once it was the my plugs but because I was expirementing with gap sizes.

yup. i had the same problem. My intake rubbed into the spark plug wires and caused it to misfire against the aluminum intake. Stuttered like crazy from a dead stop.

It was the wires! I took the NAPA lifetime warranty wires back and got replacements and the stumble is cured. The wires were about 10 months old.

I’m having the same problem and I’ve replaced the wires, plugs, distributor cap, rotor, and fuel filter. I’m still having the same problem. :wtf: I even had the timing looked at and it checked out fine. The only other things I can think of is the fuel pump or the TPS.

Any gurus out there have any idea. Everything has been replaced with OEM parts.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

our red car was doing a studder… it wasnt off of idle… it was more around 2200-2500 the car would stop pulling for a second than go again… we changed the o2 sensor and i havent felt it since… ours had a old style o2 sensor with square holes in it to let the air in… the new one had fins that stick out to force air in… it seems to work better… but i have no idea if our old o2 sensor was bad or if its just the new design works better… for those who are gonna comment… yea its a boesch… but it works a shitload better than what was on it so its stayin