spark plug wires

my b18a1 has a rough idle. plugs are new, and is the distributor. mechanic is now blaming the plug wires (msd, approx 50k kms)… what kind of wires should i be looking for?

Stock ones.

have u seen the price for stock wires? :frowning:

thats cause they’re better than the crap you’ll buy at the local autoparts store. oem all the way baby :slight_smile:

:werd:

the only other brand I would get is MSD, but price is about the same, so go NGK!

the last place that replaced my plugs replaced them with NGK-R platinum plugs and they seem to work fine when the car is running.

my stock oem wires were only $43 u.s. a lot cheaper than other brands.

not that much.

Did you check the resistance in the wires?? Do that to make sure they are the problem.

Resistance shouldn’t exceed 25,000 ohms

stock wires are Sumitomo, not NGK.

My bad. :owned:

NGK’s are better IMHO :flame:

NGK’s are only better in V-tak
White teg had denso’s… never failed (although the iginition did)

This is true. Both are good plugs. There are tests out there that say ngk’s are better, then there are test that say ngk’s are no better, or maybe even not as good as the sumitomo’s… I say its a wash. Buy whichever you prefer, I don’t see how either could be that much better than the other.

Get the magnecors… I’m happy with mine.

After all this discussion, I’m considering getting some 4 gauge wire and making my own :giggle:

when we got MSD wires for our FSAE car, they came as uncut lengths of wire and seperate terminals.

get one of each (joking).

wasnt there a test done on a gsr a while back where an old set of oem wires outperformed the aftermarkt ones in the comparison?

thats what colin said…

my OEM wires never gave out yet… still from 1989… but i did go with MSD wires(cuz of the ignition) and those fuckers friend on me(arc right through the plastic boot cover thing) so i bought me a set of black MSDs… i wish i never did that power balance test :hump: <!!!

I suppose if you just don’t like the color of the oem ones (I still have my original wires as well, theyre lasting just fine) you could dye them, but I doubt anyone has a problem with the power they deliver.