Readme

Collapse
No announcement yet.

radiator removal

Collapse
X

radiator removal

Collapse
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    radiator removal

    Ok, I did do some searching but didnt really find what I was looking for. I did find in my searches how to remove the radiator but what I was looking for is for someone who has recently done it to list the order you are suppose to remove things. Could you guys list in order the steps to taking your radiator out and replacing it? My car is a 90' GS 5spd. with no a/c. Should I also replace the hoses since there probably pretty old too??

    #2
    its really easy.

    remove fans first

    Unbolt top gromets on either side of the top of the rad.

    drain the coolant. drain the tranny resevoir in the rad

    Pull hoses off, the tranny hoses alternate between rubber and steel hose. the stell bit is bolted to the rad but you should be able to unclap the hose after it and pull the hoses off. Use a couple of golf tees if you have them to plug the holes in the hoses to keep the rest of the tranny fluid in.... or just crimp them.

    The rad just pulls up and out.

    I suggest replacing the tranny hoses with new material and removing the steel section of hose and directly connecting it to the rad. Just use some heavy duty black zip ties to keep the hoses away from the header.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Saint
      its really easy.

      remove fans first

      Unbolt top gromets on either side of the top of the rad.

      drain the coolant. drain the tranny resevoir in the rad

      Pull hoses off, the tranny hoses alternate between rubber and steel hose. the stell bit is bolted to the rad but you should be able to unclap the hose after it and pull the hoses off. Use a couple of golf tees if you have them to plug the holes in the hoses to keep the rest of the tranny fluid in.... or just crimp them.

      The rad just pulls up and out.

      I suggest replacing the tranny hoses with new material and removing the steel section of hose and directly connecting it to the rad. Just use some heavy duty black zip ties to keep the hoses away from the header.
      Tranny hoses?? What exactly does a manual transmission have hoses going to the radiator for?? I dont see any hoses other than the reservoir hose and the 2 hoses that go to the engine. I think you missed the part where I said I had a manual tranny, cuz that sounds like auto stuff.

      What I'm confused about is, do I need to take off my bumper cover or can I drain that radiator with it on still?? Do I need to take the fan off before I pull the radiator or can I do it once its out?? While the radiaotr is out I spose I should replace the hoses. What is the best way to get these damn old radiator hoses off the engine?? They seem to be stuck on good. Should I clean around the hoses on the engine before I take them off?? There seems to be alot of dirt and grime on the hose that I'm afraid might make it into the engine.

      Comment


        #4
        you can either cut along the hose (not across) and then peel it off of the inlet/outlets, or take a channel locks, grab the bitch, and rotate it..that will break it free... you shouldnt have to worry about dirt too much, but it really doesnt hurt to clean things up a bit. ohya, when u pop on the new hoses, use some wd-40, it really helps.

        Comment


          #5
          the fans should come up with the radiator. just unplug the wires that connect to it. take off the fans and attach it to the new one. if the hoses look old, replace em. if your coolant is old, replace it too. the drain is underneath some plastic cover. so u might have to remove that, but u dont have to take off the bumper. pretty easy fix if you ask me. maybe you should get a helms, haynes or something, for basic repairs and such. i was like 15 when i did the radiator for my integra, so if i can do it. you can do it too.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by naisab18a1
            the fans should come up with the radiator. just unplug the wires that connect to it. take off the fans and attach it to the new one. if the hoses look old, replace em. if your coolant is old, replace it too. the drain is underneath some plastic cover. so u might have to remove that, but u dont have to take off the bumper. pretty easy fix if you ask me. maybe you should get a helms, haynes or something, for basic repairs and such. i was like 15 when i did the radiator for my integra, so if i can do it. you can do it too.
            LoL, I'm 22 but about as skilled as a 15 year old when it comes to this kinda stuff. Its funny though, I'm a MECP certified stereo installer and I'm a wiz when it comes to wiring but the mechanicle aspect of it I'm a complete idiot. Ive just recently gotten sick of paying dumbass mechanics good money for stuff I should be doing myself. What would be the best manual for me to start to learning to do pretty basic stuff like this?? I also have a pretty wicked oil leak coming from my cam seal. Knowing my skill level now, do you think this is something I could tackle with the right manual???

            Comment


              #7
              sorry i have an A/T and the tranny fluid runs though the rad.

              just so you know.... new moulded hoses are not cheap... if they are in decent shape your should try and reuse them... unless $$ is not a factor.

              Taking the fans off first is easy... and it gives you more room to get down to the lower rad hose. Personally i reccomend it as i have had to change rads after a crash.

              once the clamps are pulled back the hoses SHOULD come off without too much effort. if they are stuck use a thin screwdriver to pry up the edge and spray in some lubricant. Of course if you are 100% going to change them... cut them off.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Saint
                sorry i have an A/T and the tranny fluid runs though the rad.

                just so you know.... new moulded hoses are not cheap... if they are in decent shape your should try and reuse them... unless $$ is not a factor.

                Taking the fans off first is easy... and it gives you more room to get down to the lower rad hose. Personally i reccomend it as i have had to change rads after a crash.

                once the clamps are pulled back the hoses SHOULD come off without too much effort. if they are stuck use a thin screwdriver to pry up the edge and spray in some lubricant. Of course if you are 100% going to change them... cut them off.
                Like how much are we talking for new hoses?? Money is totally a factor here but I will replace them if they need it. How can I tell if my hoses are bad and need to be replaced?? I dont see any cracking or anything but they look kinda warped. Nothing bad but they arent the same size all the way down the hose. Barely noticable though. Think I need new ones???

                Comment


                  #9
                  i cant be sure without seeing them etc.... uhh squeeze them and try and feel if they are collapsing because the inside is cracked.

                  The problems with hoses are... they split inside and work their way out.... this eventually causes the hose to bulge and break.

                  Mine are not totally the same size all the way down either, i think its partly the heat of the engine and coolant, and the way the hoses are moulded when made.

                  best way is when you pull the hoses off.... carefully.... check inside and see if there are signs of splitting.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    if you do a cam seal, its pretty much easy too. but you might need to replace some gaskets in the process. i had to get valve cover gasket, and spark plug o-rings, as well as the cam end plug. dont forget hondabond or rtv sealant. that would also be a good time to check your timing belt's condition since its opened up. I used a haynes manual btw... about the radiator hoses.. my guessing is that if its questionable in condition, might as well get it replaced, because you never know when it cracks and leaks, and BAM, you have a overheated motor. and usually a motor costs more than a pair of hoses... HTH.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by naisab18a1
                      if you do a cam seal, its pretty much easy too. but you might need to replace some gaskets in the process. i had to get valve cover gasket, and spark plug o-rings, as well as the cam end plug. dont forget hondabond or rtv sealant. that would also be a good time to check your timing belt's condition since its opened up. I used a haynes manual btw... about the radiator hoses.. my guessing is that if its questionable in condition, might as well get it replaced, because you never know when it cracks and leaks, and BAM, you have a overheated motor. and usually a motor costs more than a pair of hoses... HTH.
                      Yeah, I think I'll just go ahead and replace the hoses too. I found a place to get OEM ones from for only like 25$ with 4 new clips. Better to be safe than sorry.
                      Last edited by Brian Hunter; 30 Jan 2009, 20:32:16.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X