Readme

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Relocated battery...problems...please help!!!

Collapse
X

Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was hoping someone could please help me with this...a few months back I decided to relocate my battery to the hatch. I used 4ga wire and an optima red top. I have the same setup in my other teg to do this day with no problems whatsoever and its been close to a year. The first few times I started it it started right up no problem. The next two times it barely cranked but started. Today I go to start it, it cranks really slowly, and then the fuse (in the back, one foot from the battery, 60a) blows. I decide to try another battery and an 80a fuse, same thing happens car cranks slowly then fuse blows. I never had any problems in my other car so what gives? Anyone had a similar experience or any ideas? Any help would be muchly appreciated.

The wire is touching ground & draining the battery somewhere...

Comment

But would that let it crank for a bit then blow the fuse every time?

Comment

Perhaps, if the shielding is just barely worn through. Wouldn't hurt to check. where did you run the wire through the firewall? did you use a grommet or at least wrap the hell out of the wire w/ electrical tape?

Comment

Well I dont see it shorted anywhere, and where it was ran through the firewall it is surrounded by rubber because its going through the grommet already there. Any other ideas?

Comment

My guess is the ground. Did you ground the battery to the body (close to the battery)? I think if it is a bad ground the length of the battery cable is to long for current to travel so it requires more power thus blowing your fuse and giving you a weak start and the alt would not charge it as good. try a different ground without disconnecting the original.

Comment

Yeah that sounds good, but you might want to double check the wire cause mine grounded itself when I ran it over the computer. It shut everything off, but that was my fault. I guess people were stepping on it and after time it just wore a whole in the wire. I run 4g and it is a tight fit running it to the back.

Comment

When I ran mine, I ran 0 gague wires for both terminals back up into the engine bay, and payed close attention to where wear spots might occur & wrapped the hell out of those areas in electrical tape.....But yes, definately try a diffrent ground spot... Also, what kind/how old is the battery?

Comment

Well Ive tried two different batteries, a red top and a regular no-name battery. Oddly enough, when I went out today and after I checked everything it started right up. Very odd, but Im sure the problem still exists so I will have to check everything...I am thinking it is most likely a short somewhere or the ground is too long/not good. But I appreciate all the help guys and I will let you know what happens. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X