X

new ring job

Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new ring job

does anyone know what the average price for installing new piston rings?? i just dont have any time to do it myself anymore..

To begin with, if you are tearing the engine apart to replace piston rings, other wear items are replaced such as bearings, thrust washers, oil pump, etc. Basically a total rebuild while your there. The head must be removed to replace rings, so a new head gasket, oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, etc.

Rebuilds get costly, you will have to call your local rebuilder and request all OEM gaskets.

Comment

The cost is not cheap.
      So far I've spent over $600 in just parts. I still need $400 in machine shop work.
      And I am doing all the work myself, minus the machining.

So far i have the following
      Pistons 150 (aftermarket, 11.5:1 compression)
      Rods 300 (aftermarket)
      deckplate 120 (aftermarket)
      Rings 60
      rod & main bearings 100
      head gasket set 140
      block gasket set 60
      thrust washers 20
      timing belt 40
      timing belt tensioner 60
      water pump 50
      injector seals 20

machine shop work

block cleaning
      .25mm overbore
      cylinders honed
      deckplate installed
      micropolish and balance the crank

like I said before, its not cheap and you get what you pay for.
      Last edited by kroy; 13 Oct 2004, 21:06:03.

Comment

I spenk 2k on an in-place rebuild (block stays in the car). I had it done at an ASE certified shop locally.

Chunk

Comment

well no i have rebuilt the entire engine..new rod bearing, main bearings....i fucked up when i was filing the rings..but put em in anyways..now my comp is much lower that it should be with the set up i have...so i figure its the rings....everythign else is new..including je 10:5 pistons...my numbers in all cylinders is 170-180...i figure it should be at least around 220-230

Comment

Is the engine broken in yet? If it's not totally broken in, the compression numbers probably won't be as high as they will be when it's broken in.

Comment

so i have nothing to worry bout then?

Comment

Well the compression is pretty even, so it seems premature to think that there's something wrong with them if they're not broken in yet. Break the engine in completely and THEN check compression.

Comment

Working...
                X