Just did a compression test, tell me if my numbers are good!!

Okay, just did a compression test while changing out the plugs & wires on my '92 GS. My B18A test results are:

132 125 110 110

I liked the fact that the numbers were all in all pretty close to one another, but are they all sort of low in general? Or is that what they should look like for a B18A w/ 169,000 miles on the clock?

That’s pretty low. I think they’re supposed to be 180+/-15 psi if i remember correctly.

Ouch that is pretty low. Are you sure that you did the compression test correctly? Did you crank the car 6 or 7 times or until the needle in your gauge stopped climbing?

And yes, 185 +/- even 25 is good/ok, as long as your numbers are consistent.

Yeah, I pulled all the plugs & wires, then starting from the #1 cylinder, i cranked the car until the needle stopped moving. What could be causing these low numbers? I have no oil consumption or coolant consumption at all…why would it be low accross the board like that?

The reading could be low if you are using a cheap auto parts store pressure guage.

Did you do the compression test on a hot or cold engine?

on a cold engine, now that I think about it, that could be the problem, huh?

You need to do the test when the engine is hot and you have to press the gas pedal to the floor to let air go into the cylinders… that’s prolly why the numbers are that low

Thanks for the info!

Can some one tell me how to do a compression test? Is it simple to do?

Quite simple… for a How-To: :search:

I did cool guy. Couldnt fined a thing on this site on how to do one right. Thanks for the help.

I found about 5 pages explaining how to do a proper compression test… :think: but… go here…

Did you read the thread or just the title? I put in compression test in the search and didnt fined much on how to do one. Thanks for the link.

read the thread…

I did thats why I said thanks for the help. :cool: