blower noise...

yea man, when I turn the blower on it sounds like shit. Is this a common problem? I want to take it apart and see if something is loose or just caught in the blower. Any ideas? Is there a how to already? thanks in advance…

the blower should not be extremely loud off course it will sound like a fan but shouldn’t be overly noticeable best bet is to see if there’s something in there.

Is it a pain in the ass to get it out? I’m thinking at least remove the glove box, and maybe the center console :shrug:

The blower motor is a bit of a pain to get out. Yes, you have to remove the glove box and “climate control box” (my own term–can’t remember the actual name of it). The blower motor is screwed to the bottom of that box. Despite what you might be told, you can’t remove the blower motor by just taking out the screws and pulling it out; there’s not enough clearance between the blower motor and the floor of the car. Maybe someone here can scan the pages in the Helms manual that detail the blower motor removal procedure.

As for the motor itself, I’d bet you anything the brushes in your motor are worn down to nothing or the bearings need some oil. You may be able to score a replacement blower motor at a salvage yard for cheap, or maybe there are aftermarket replacements for sale on the internet. The Acura OEM blower motor is rather expensive.

If you’re handy, you can also replace the carbon brushes in the motor and see if that helps any. The blower motor probably wasn’t designed to be serviceable, but it can be opened up, and the brushes can be replaced. I have done this myself; I found similar brushes (with braided copper pigtails attached) at a local electronics junk store. If the commutator of the motor is all chewed up, though, don’t bother. Just get a replacement motor.

thanks for the advice- right now its just making noise, I think the guy I bought it from must of done some ghetto work to it. Maybe left a screw loose or something. I will have to break down and open it up some day…

i have the same noise

I did…it was really tight but i did it. You have to loosen up that white box that its in to give you some “wiggle room.” Mine was making a terrible noise and it turns out it had a crapton of leaves and other junk in there. Cleaned all that would and it runs like a champ again.

Isn’t there an easer way to clean that out? I suspect i have stuff in my blower too…

My dad said maybe try hooking a vacuum cleaner up to the opening in there if you know what im talking about. It may work for the small stuff, but i think if theres alot of stuff in there it wont work too well.

A friend and I had the same problem. His was a tinking/ rattling sound which turned out to be a misc screw from who knows where. Mine on the other hand was a deep loud vibration only on setting 3 and 4. It turned out that two of the blades broke off and is now off balance. Regardless to say your best bet is to take it apart and see whats goin on. Good luck cause its a pain in the ars.

Wasn’t there a way to get in from up top? I’ll have to try and find the pic on here and post it…

OK found it-
maybe clean through here, I figure thats were a lot of the stuff comes from…

I found this excellent write-up on blower motor removal:

http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=1249

It’s really not that hard, but as the author states, set aside 1-2 hours for the job. I wonder if the write-up can somehow be cut and pasted into a “teg tip”…

This “how do I get the blower motor out” business comes up regularly; it’d be nice to just direct people to a teg tip on the subject.

[QUOTE=Duane;2087365]I found this excellent write-up on blower motor removal:

It’s really not that hard, but as the author states, set aside 1-2 hours for the job. I wonder if the write-up can be somehow be cut and pasted into a “teg tip”…

This “how do I get the blower motor out” business comes up regularly; it’d be nice to just direct people to a teg tip on the subject.[/QUOTE]

:iagree:

+1 who is the admin here, lets see if they can “tegtip” this…

Admin ~~~> :bigread:

1-2 hours seems kind of long…I did mine in about an hour…start to finish…but I also moved my ecu…makes removing the blower a whole lot easier.

[QUOTE=Duane;2087365]I found this excellent write-up on blower motor removal:

It’s really not that hard, but as the author states, set aside 1-2 hours for the job. I wonder if the write-up can somehow be cut and pasted into a “teg tip”…

This “how do I get the blower motor out” business comes up regularly; it’d be nice to just direct people to a teg tip on the subject.[/QUOTE]

this was a great write up. gonna tackle this tomorrow

mine made crazy noise. wen i baught the car took it out there was like a rats nest leaves water and a whole bunch of other crab in there sealed it au cleaned it out quite now can barely hear it

Mine made a deep sounding vibration noise when turned on. I ignored it until I started to smell something dead when the heat was on. Turns out there was a dead mouse in the blower motor…well, half a dead mouse. The other half was sprayed all around the inside of the blower motor housing. Was a pain cleaning it out, but it runs like new now.