Sparco bucket seat rebuild/reupholster

aiight. i’m rebuilding my sparco bucket seat, rebuilding almost all of it, most of the padding is ok, but i will probably beef up some parts like the butt section.

personally i would never attempt anything like this but after disassembling the seat, a bucket seat should be very easy to redo. the cover is basically a slip on over the frame. and the only part thats takes any decent gluing or upholstery type of skills… is the bottom half butt cushion thing.

here is how it looked at first.

now its like this

but upon getting it all stripped i noticed one bar is broken at the weld. i’ll prolly have this rewelded at work by a friend or co-worker.

i have removed the seat cover and have taken apart the stiches n stuff, so i can trace templates out of the pieces, and use that to cut out new parts from some new fabric i’m getting. i’m thinking about cheating and sewing heavy linen and then some suede onto that (debating on using 3m upholstery strength type of glue and sewing it too. i’d prefer to do it right the whole way… but i just need to find the same type of padding that they have glued to the original cover. but its extremely hard to find time to go to an fabric/linen shop or whatever with my kind of schedule.

for the padding around the bars (outer rim), i am just gonna use the foam pipe insulation that they sell at home depot for plumbing cuz thats the kind of stuff i found when i took the seat apart.

hog rings i’m not gonna use this time around, cuz when removing the seat, i found that the hog rings dug into foam in certain locations and kinda ate it up. so i will go with zip ties. its ghetto but i trust zip ties and use zip ties more than anybody else in this world. :angel:

also, has anybody seen some of that vinyl (or whatever that abrasive resistant material) is, available anywhere.

its the black sections that were used in those high wear sections. i’ve tried a few places but its solid with no texture. trying sparcousa is no help, they did say that u can buy the skin but thru dealers, and well dealers of theirs are all useless. nobody returns calls, and nobody answers phones. and the ppl that i can get a hold of have no idea on the matter.

any input or ideas would be helpful. negative or positive, i don’t really care. it keeps me busy :slight_smile:

here are some pics of the pieces.

the foam, not sure if its heavy density foam or what not (still researching)… but this is what i feel like doubling in padding for the butt cheek region. if anything i am thinking of putting some memory 2" memory foam over the top portion of this

abrasive resistant sides, on the older models, it was only built on the lower portions, not on the top half. and thats where mine had wear (from previous owner tho)

nice rebuild of the seat. i would love to see the finished product.

thx man. i’m still looking for some of the exact material that i want, so we’ll c.

nice lil project you got there jeff cAnt wait to see the finished product.

thx. ima be picking up some upholstery this weekend as long as this one seller doesn’t flake on me again.

in to see how this turns out!

:rockon:

so your getting the ladies undies? :giggle:

lol nah. maybe i’ll use a safety pin and pin them up on the back side of it. but we’ll see how that goes.

i went to get some fabric but the suede was kinda thin. i’m learning that microfiber suede is kinda the route to go unless u go up with $$$ and buy real leather suede. but then its harder to get bigger pieces of it. dilemmas dilemmas.

cover it in dickies material :angel:

:umno:

lol. no man. u know i already shot down that idea.