finished my cluster swap :)

jdm itr cluster. i’ll have more pics tomorrow.

:up:

VSS a bitch?

nice.

you can use a VSS from an early year accord that is electric.

ahhh… news to me wise parts manager d00d…

:bow:

:rofl:

compared to the amount of wiring involved, it was cake. haha. i didn’t have a very good diagram for the harness i had on the type r cluster, so it took some work.

the vss was harder to physically install than it was to wire up. it’s just in a somewhat awkward place, nothing too bad though.

cool congrats :up:

is it the same way as swapping in a gen3 cluster or there’s more work involved?

any info on electric VSS on our cars?

looks great

Looks awesome … I love the work you did here…

Day PICs?

Can we see a day pic of the Cluster during the day. I would love to see the bezel? how it looks

Also can you give us a little outline for parts you used etc? years etc.

OMG Hi2U… Im in love with that. That’s simply awesome!!!

superthug : same as any other g3 cluster, accept that the only thing i noticed while doing this, was that the colors on the jdm itr harness i had differed a bit frorm other g3 harnesses. wasn’t a big deal. as for the vss, it’s easier than everyone makes it out to be. there’s one bolt that holds the cable vss onto your tranny, along w/ two power steering lines. the bolt isn’t exactly comfy to get to, but w/ the intake off, it’s very doable. if you’re keeping power steering, you’ll need an electronic vss w/ the provisions for the lines (i’ve heard 90-93 accord). i’m actually removing mine, so i got a vss without these. the old one just pulls out, and the new one drops in. it takes a little work getting in and out though, as there are gears that need to be lined up (i’ll take a pic of the vss that i pulled out when i go down to get some day shots of the cluster for you guys.) Hopefully that helps?

91TEGLS : I’ll get some more pics as soon as i can get enough time w/out any rain. As for the parts I used :

97 JDM ITR Cluster (from HMO) : Stick with earlier clusters as there are some issues using the newer ones that frankly aren’t worth dealing with. If anyone cares, I can go into further detail.

97 JDM ITR Cluster Pigtail : Just the clips from the back of the cluster with enough wiring left to identify and splice into. Any G3 harness should work, but i HIGHLY recomment one from and obd-1 car (for the same reasons you want an older, pre-98 spec cluster).

Electronic VSS : For the P/S steering cars it seems you need one from a 90-93 accord, so that you can hook up your P/S lines. I’m dumping the P/S, so I got one from a non P/S car. (Not sure what, I asked for it at HMO. I THINK it was a Y1 though).

Misc. Crap : 18-22 Gauge Wire (Mostly just for VSS wiring). Then you’ll need either splice connectors, a soldering iron or something to make your connections. Also some wire crimpers (or needlenose pliars in a bind). ZIPTIES! I also suggest the tools to remove your steering wheel, as it makes this job MUCH easier (I know, because i did mine w/ it ON). I also used some hose and inline fittings to loop my P/S until I have a chance to completely remove it. I think that’s about it.

Just let me know if you guys need any more help. I should be back w/ pics ASAP. Maybe a mod would like me to write up a tegtip? Haha.

hows the fitment? does it happen to bolt or line right up? all the lights work with just the wiring in the back?

parden my stupedity, but what is VSS?

Vehicle Speed Sensor

:werd: Replaced the cable speedo

guys thanks for the help :clap: , but the VSS, I did the JDM cluster DA swap and the cable just plugs in, what does the VSS do? or is just a cable and the cable for the ITR Cluster different?

Man I call my self a student to the DA, sorry guys :hmm:

I’m quite sure the JDM DA cluster still used the same speedo.

VSS came in DCs… just a more advanced speedo cable.

advance Speed cable, does it have a special box or sensor?

Jim Grant’s Tech Tips

‘90 Honda Accord, What’s a VSS?

Q: The other day during a quick acceleration in my ‘90 Honda Accord, the speedometer quit working, my check engine light came on, and my sport shift light started flashing. My mechanic said that it is the VSS. What is the VSS and what’s involved replacing it?

A: The VSS is the Vehicle Speed Sensor. The VSS creates an electrical signal that is used by the vehicle’s computer for engine and transmission management (if equipped with an automatic transmission). The signal from the VSS is also used by the speed-o-meter to determine vehicle speed and distance traveled. Knowing this you can understand why the check engine light and sport shift light (for the transmission) are complaining. Of course the speed-o is not operating as well. The VSS is located at the rear for the transmission and has a 3-wire connector plugged into it. Only 2 small bolts hold it in place and it is not that hard to change. Word of caution, there is this little piece called a drive link that is driven by the transmission and goes into the VSS. The little bugger is easy to lose and a replacement is hard to get.

http://www.alldata.com/techtips/2004/20041209b.html