Sanding Dash

I was wondering if i could sand down my dash before painting it and make the plastic completely smooth opposed to the grooves- if so what grit paper should i use

Can’t you just pull off the vinyl cover over it? I dunno cuz I haven’t taken my dash out yet but I always thought it was just a vinyl cover over it, so if you took it off and cleaned underneath it would be smooth:shrug:

Better get a spare dash to work with. Sanding the vinyl would weaken it, makeing it thinner, and easier to bend/flex, which to me would see to make it easer for the paint to crack. Taking it off would expose the padding under the vinyl, which would make you worse off, unless you coated that with fiberglass resin. Either way you need a durable surface to paint on. You could get the vinyl dash paint, prep it real good and paint a few coats. Then sand from there, sanding the paint down smooth, insteady of the dash. Then prep and do a final coat.

What exactly is under the vinyl? I want to fiberglass the dash on my integra and civic during the winter, but don’t want to mess up. Would it be better to put a few layers of mat over the vinyl, or pull off the vinyl and put some resin on whatever’s underneath? Any tips? Thanks:) (sorry for whoring your thread)

Don’t have a clue whats under there. But if you think about it, it would seem there is some foam under there, cause whey you push your finger on the dash it will push in a little. It’s gonna be a messy project.

I think he is talking about the lower panels on the dash

I don’t know if your talking about me or him, it seems were all confused:p…but I want to fiberglass the whole dash, not the lower panels…I think it would look pretty nice:)

was talking about the person who started the post. As for you 4door, go by a local stereo shop and talk to them and see what they recommned doing as to fiberglassing the dash.

Yeah I might do that, only problem is the only real stereo installers we have is Future Shop, about an hour away. I might go to the body shop(my nextdoor neighbour) sometime and ask him his opinions:)