h22/h23 questions

alright so im planning on going h series and know its a challenging swap i have most of everything to do it except for mounts ands few other things im doing a h22 head on a h23 block and building it with forged internals and using a h2b kit so i can still use a cable b series trans dont want the hassle of doing a cable to hydro swap my questions are as follows:

h23 ecu how would i socket it?
axles? could i use DA axles? i heard accord axles work what year fits if they do?
those that have done it what other problems did you come across?
thanks for looking and helping :rockon:

well with the h2b kit i can use my DA axles so that question is answered

h22 and h23 ecus are far from the same. You will need an H22 or an H23 ecu to run either engine…

yes you can use the B18A tranny… but the gear spacing isn’t going to be really great for the H22… it won’t be HORRIBLE, but it will be less than great.

axles… I think you have to have custom axles made… but do a search for the H22 swaps and I know they actually specify what you need in axles… (I am too lazy to search for you… sorry :frowning: )

Then you need to do some more research.

http://www.quartersportsdrag.com/H2B.html

^haha get with the times man!:slight_smile:

weeellthe h2b adapter is a solid grand so its up to you if its worth it…if your using it tho your right you can use stock da axles if your using a stock da transmission…spline wise i thinks only 90-91 and particular but dont quote me either lol so if your going stock b16 tranny or something you might need custom axles with that particular tranny inner side and da outside joint but if you go m2b4 (i believe is the code) which is the lsd jdm h22 tranny youd be geared for vtec but idk if its quicker than a b16 trans…

ecu wise you need a h22a ecu…is it a jdm motor a h22a1 or a h22a4 is the first question…you prolly want a p13 obd1 ecu

oh ya and a h22 might break stock da axles? or maybe im giving youre build too much credit :slight_smile:

iiiifffff your saying you have a h23 ecu already and want to use that…idk but i dont think you can…im not sure if its a chippable ecu or not? you could get a p28 or something from a civic and have it chipped with maps for your build

i mean it should run the car but not near properly

if your going H2B in your DA QSD is the only company to my knowledge that makes the kit for our cars. and if not they are the best. (in my opinion) With that being said be prepared for anywere between a 1.25 - 2inch gap in the hood as the H22 is a larger motor than our Bseries motors, and with the QSD kit they built the kit to keep the trans in the stock location so hood clearance is compromised. the only way about it is to cut the skeloton out of the hood (which only drops it alittle), cutting a hol in the hood and installing a custom scoop, a custom hood, or just dealing with it.

If you can get past the hood clearence the swap is really no different than an other swap. with H2B the only thing you use from the H family is the motor, so everything else is all Bseries, so clutch, flywheel, axles, etc. another thing with the QSD kit is you must shave down the back of the block around the oil pan area in order for the intermideate shaft to clear the motor. you will want to look into shaving the crank pully down to a one belt, just for the alternator, removing the balance shafts, and relocating the pcv valve. even with all that done you will more than likely have to move the alternator down with a relocation kit, theres plenty of options for that out there, and still may have to BANG the frame rail in some in order for the motor to clear. also look into a custom header for the swap. as the Hmotor in its origanal state is slanted toward the rear of the car, but with the trans not moving the H22 is slanted forwarded, this points the header exit up toward the powersteering rack. you can always get a normal H header and heat it up and bend it, but i dont like that rought.

Wiring wise, you use your B series harness and just wire it to the H motor. not to hard. theres two ways to do it, my recomendation is that you label the harness before you pull it off your Bseries and that way you can work easier when installing it onto the H. the other way is to sit the motors back to back and just swap the harness one sensor at a time. if your car is not Vtec you will need to wire in Vtec to the ecu you choose to go with. i wont get into that there is too much info on the net for that. Depending on the ecu you choose, depends on if you have to wire knock or the iabs. if you get a P28 and have it chipped, which is what i recomend if not runnung a Hondata, you will not have to wire these things as that ecu dont look for it. Obviously you will have to convert to OBD1 if not already.

Im sure theres some things im missing, i just did this off the top off my head. ive put H22s in many cars, im currently putting an H22 in my boys civic, its a straight H swap though. when im done with that i will start my H2B build. all though im in no rush to finish it. you need to do more research on the H2B swap and really decide if its right for you. if so get it started and post your progress on the board and im sure we will all help you when you get stuck. but i just gave you a good place to start now go use your GOOGLE

[QUOTE=snowman2805;2072043]if your going H2B in your DA QSD is the only company to my knowledge that makes the kit for our cars. and if not they are the best. (in my opinion) With that being said be prepared for anywere between a 1.25 - 2inch gap in the hood as the H22 is a larger motor than our Bseries motors, and with the QSD kit they built the kit to keep the trans in the stock location so hood clearance is compromised. the only way about it is to cut the skeloton out of the hood (which only drops it alittle), cutting a hol in the hood and installing a custom scoop, a custom hood, or just dealing with it.

If you can get past the hood clearence the swap is really no different than an other swap. with H2B the only thing you use from the H family is the motor, so everything else is all Bseries, so clutch, flywheel, axles, etc. another thing with the QSD kit is you must shave down the back of the block around the oil pan area in order for the intermideate shaft to clear the motor. you will want to look into shaving the crank pully down to a one belt, just for the alternator, removing the balance shafts, and relocating the pcv valve. even with all that done you will more than likely have to move the alternator down with a relocation kit, theres plenty of options for that out there, and still may have to BANG the frame rail in some in order for the motor to clear. also look into a custom header for the swap. as the Hmotor in its origanal state is slanted toward the rear of the car, but with the trans not moving the H22 is slanted forwarded, this points the header exit up toward the powersteering rack. you can always get a normal H header and heat it up and bend it, but i dont like that rought.

Wiring wise, you use your B series harness and just wire it to the H motor. not to hard. theres two ways to do it, my recomendation is that you label the harness before you pull it off your Bseries and that way you can work easier when installing it onto the H. the other way is to sit the motors back to back and just swap the harness one sensor at a time. if your car is not Vtec you will need to wire in Vtec to the ecu you choose to go with. i wont get into that there is too much info on the net for that. Depending on the ecu you choose, depends on if you have to wire knock or the iabs. if you get a P28 and have it chipped, which is what i recomend if not runnung a Hondata, you will not have to wire these things as that ecu dont look for it. Obviously you will have to convert to OBD1 if not already.

Im sure theres some things im missing, i just did this off the top off my head. ive put H22s in many cars, im currently putting an H22 in my boys civic, its a straight H swap though. when im done with that i will start my H2B build. all though im in no rush to finish it. you need to do more research on the H2B swap and really decide if its right for you. if so get it started and post your progress on the board and im sure we will all help you when you get stuck. but i just gave you a good place to start now go use your GOOGLE[/QUOTE]

wow thanks do appreciate and trust me i have searched alot about this build part of my wiring issue is 1. before my teg was stolen it did have a b16 with a obdo to obd1 jumper harness that was taken along with the motor and the harness 2. its going to be a rebuilt usdm h23 block with a rebuilt usdm h22 head i have both the h23 wiring harnes and the ecu i believe all need is another ls harness according to one guy off honda-tech 3. explicit speedmakes a full kit that helps remove the whole shaving part out of the picture with a different front cross member and all brackets to the swap 4. i have heard that i can use accord axles but what year i do not know just what i heard but i agree that i havent thought about the hood and the issue of it being raised or what not lol i have spent alot of hours looking on every possible pro and con not to do this swap and being that most of the parts minus trans and top dollar parts needed has been generously donated to my cause but thank you for your wise insight i gives me better understanding of what im doing and what else i forgot about and thanks to everyone that has answered any more help will be greatly appreciated and yes i do plan on doing a full build write up and i will for sure be keeping you guys in the loop as it progresses

wait are you talking about doing a full Hseries swap like using the H motor and the H trans? Or are you trying to do an H2B swap, which is using the H motor with a B series trans. cuase trust me they are two completely different things. ESP only makes the kit for a straight H swap not H2B, if your talking about just a full H swap then disregard basically everything i said, i was under the impression that you were talking H2B

So a little clarification is needed

lol ya im planning on using a h2b kit for the trans so i can run a cable b series instead of doing the cable/hydro conversion but thanks tho

well then you will not be able to use the ESP kit, thats for pure H swaps. look into the QSD, i hear the Evo/Bishomoto does make a kit for the DA, but again i like the QSD kit much much better. im still trying to get a few things off of my plate then i will be starting my build, hopefully by end of next month good luck keep us updated

Do you have a website that I can look into that kit some more oh abd I will for sure keep you guys updated thanks for the help

spikeymikey already posted QSDs site earlier in this thread so i wont, but other than their site you can find lots of info over on H-T you just gotta search. good luck with it, its a lot of hours but well worth it in the end

thanks i appreciate i should have some pics and build thread up soon

ok so here is what im working worth:

so far it has the hood and a pair of 92 headlights and soon some 92 tails

is this how you got it? was it a theft recovery or something? looks like you got some work to do. :corn:

thanks to lawngnomeslayer i forgot about htis thread anywhoo i decided it would better to just a do a complete hseries swap and fuck the hsb kit seeing as how i have everything minus axles and the mounts at this point

Dude, you can run an OBD1 b-series ecu and have Cortney Green make a basemap that will run an H motor. That way you don’t need the H series ecu or any conversion harness etc. Not only will it eliminate the need to buy a new ecu and other stuff, but the map he burns will probably run the motor better than a stock ecu.