wanting to make a baby from b17 and b18a1

What’s the best way to mate b18a1 and b17a to get the most power productive engine?the block on the b17 is not usable but all the internals are. I was wondering which parts I can use on my b18a1…

ls v

Yes the simplest is to use the B18 block complete with the B17 head. Buy or build an LS/VTEC kit to make the VTEC head work. The B17 had a slightly better compression ratio but I don’t know whether that is attributed to its pistons or the smaller combustion chamber volume or both. You could get some information from the http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto.php site. They have an LSVTEC how to and a compression ratio calculator.

the b17 head is the same as the b16, the camshafts are the main difference. combustion chambers are identical. pr3 casting.

take the ls block and up the compression via pistons, and port/polish the head, and get a nice set of camshafts/valvesprings, then invest in tuning. dont forget to go with new rings/bearings/seals/etc.

it’s not gonna be worth all the money you spend if you don’t up the pistons at least with some b16’s, or if you want a lil higher comp go with the p30’s. also make sure you get at a minimum of at least arp rod bolts and headstuds, I wouldn’t use the old ones from the original block.

not trying to bash but theres a lot to go into an lsv swap, so plan carefully and do it right the first time or youu’ll spend a lot more money later, especially if you decide to upgrade as you’ll have to retune again for probably a minimum of 300-400.

lsv is lots of fun. i’ve built mine and its been goin for about 12k now and still runnin strong. good luck w/ the build