Quick Distributor Question

Can I use the distributor that came with my 2nd Gen OBD1 B16A with my OBD0 teg by Swapping in the new plug as shown here??

Sorry for being so noob

No.

:search:

Your distributor must match your ecu in regard to “OBD”

that plug is used for when you do a obd0 to obd1 conversion but keep the obd0 harness.

Alright,

I’m trying to figure out why the engine won’t turn over. I’ve hacked the leg off my LS OBD0 distributor. Is it sitting correctly or did I hack off the wrong leg :confused:

bump

What else have you done to the car/engine? What does happen, if anything, when you turn the key to the start position?

I’m just in the preliminary states of diagnostics (just put the motor in on saturday), but the starter makes noise, it just won’t turn over.

But do you know if the distributor is physically on there correctly? I tried rotating the shaft 180 deg but it still won’t crank

To me, that distributor does not look right. I don’t want to say for sure since I haven’t dealt with an obd0 distributor in over 5yrs… Looks to me like the dist needs to rotate approx 90deg clockwise. The dist should have a flat side then 3 rounded sides. The flat side should be straight up.

Not the best pic, I’m sure you can spend a couple minutes on google image search and find something better, but this is a start:

That’s what I was thinking also, but when modifying the LS distributor to fit vtec, it appeared that if I chopped off the other leg the holes wouldn’t line up :S …

yeah it’s not even close to being lined up correctly. the flat part should be on the top.

and, how in the world did you manage to put the shaft in 180* out? it physically wont go in…

just turn it the right way. hope you didn’t cut the wrong leg off!

What you need to do is orient the distributor just as it was on the stock motor. Look at it from the side of the car. You’ll see that the addition of the vtec solenoid is the reason for why the lower right leg mounting point is moved. It’s that lower right leg which needs to be cut off. It’ll then be mounted by the top and lower left legs which will bolt to the cylinder head.

Looks like the leg you have mounted to the top-most mounting point is the leg you should have cut off.

yeah okay…so basically I killed this one then eh :frowning:

maybe not. i can’t seem to get a good mental picture of how it should be. when i put my ls distro on with a leg cut off, i was only able to line up the top leg to the top bolt. i was never able to get the other leg to line up. weird.

That would make sense, that’s why I cut off the other leg, because the other two didn’t seem to line up, So I guess i’ll cut off the other leg, and try only securing it by the top bolt…fingers crossed

There may be some non VTEC distributors that can bolt up two legs but mine would only do one as well. I just sold it and bought a VTEC model. No worries then.