New clutch question/problem.

I finally broke down and started my 5 speed swap this weekend. I have a competition stage 2 clutch. I put in a new pilot bearing and throwout bearing and had the flywheel resurfaced. After installing the trans today, i pulled up on the black lever to see how tight it was and it felt like there was no tension on it at all. Is this correct?

yes. once you put in your cable it will be fine.

Thank you sir!

Yes there should be tension on the release lever. Are you sure you installed the throwout bearing spring correctly? Looks like you might have to pull the trans :stare:

TegFan how would the clutch cable create tension? The tension comes from the throwout bearing spring and fork

Well, doing my clutch i was also worried about the looseness of the arm. Put my cable through and adjusted the freeplay to spec. Clutch works fine. Still have to answer your question tho.

There should be little but not a lot of tension.

The throwout bearing moves in and out when i move the lever. Which way is the correct way to install the spring?

[QUOTE=TegFan;2056841]Well, doing my clutch i was also worried about the looseness of the arm. Put my cable through and adjusted the freeplay to spec. Clutch works fine. Still have to answer your question tho.

There should be little but not a lot of tension.[/QUOTE]
You wouldn’t have been able to adjust the freeplay without the spring tension, read my answer below

When you pull the lever it should spring back into place. Here’s a picture:

Im pretty sure thats the way i put it in…and it does spring back into place. It just doesnt take hardly any effort to pull it up.

theres no clutch or pressure plate…

If it springs back into place then it sounds like your golden then :rockon:

Ok i just wanted to make sure before i put everything back togeather. It just didnt seem right to me or my granddad. I guess ill find out. Thanks for the help guys.

i just put my trans on after swapping the clutch… and i seem to have the same problem =[ i pull on the lever and it springs back down.(throwout bearing back in towards the trans) so i put the cable on and stepped on the clutch pedal and it sank right in and stayed there… wtf…help!!

omg lol

look go buy a book at Ur parts store and read it seems like every one was telling u how to do it the book is like 18 $ ITS A good investment

You have to adjust the cable by turning the black plastic nut. That will raise the lever to a point where the release bearing touches the pressure plate springs. The correct adjustment is a few mm short of it touching the pressure plate.

I take it you didn’t have any problems then? I just installed a Competition Clutch flywheel, and stage 2 clutch this past week. 70miles on it, smooth sailing so far!

the lever has a wide range of movement. when your moving it by hand it’s not engaging the pressure plate yet. there’s a lot of free movement in that lever. once you install the clutch cable it pulls the lever arm up and then you adjust the free play to 3-4mm and you’ll be all set.