crower cams

i’ve got a '92 Da with a '96 b18b1 i bought CTR pistons and stage 1 crower cams part #62402-2 and tru time AEM cam gears, i wanted to know if anyone else has ran this same set up or something similar, my main issue is that i’m not sure what to set my valve clearance at, i’ve tried multiple times to get a hold of someone with crowers import tech and no one has gotten to me. this is my only set back and i really really need to figure this out.

You should have got a cam card with your cams that has the clearances.

If not, using the “middle-of-the-range” OEM clearances should be fine.

[QUOTE=BobLobLaw;2053857]You should have got a cam card with your cams that has the clearances.

If not, using the “middle-of-the-range” OEM clearances should be fine.[/QUOTE]

When I got my cams (404’s) I did not have any spec sheets so I just used the oem spec and be careful with those aem cam gears I had 1 snap on me while I was driving and I know of a couple people who had the same problam.

hey sorry to jack the thread but mine related to the crower cams to

ive just bought some and im lookin at puttin them in my b18a there stage2 turbo cams

p/n 575-405-3842

but im currently running stock springs. does anyone have ny experience with these cams and stock springs or can i put type r springs and retainers in?

the reason i ask about the type r ones is there significantly cheaper then the crower springs etc.

thanks guys

with upgrading the the cams you will be increasing your lift and duration puting more stress on your springs and retainers. so i would suggest upgrading

yeh i realise that

im wondering if i can get away with type R springs and retainers. in a b18a

well crower NEVER got back to me, so i ended up setting my clearance at 0.007 intake, 0.008 exhaust.

car ran great, but didn’t like the fact that it was still on the stock tune, soooooooooooooooooooo…

120miles later…

the new cams leaned out my motor, and two pistons detinated:dance:

nice

i wouldve thought stock valve clearances wouldve been ok the expansion rates of metal wouldnt change if the cams did…

but i could b wrong

idk, the motor is going to be in the process of being rebuilt soon. i’m going to try a different approach this time though…

still using the CTR pistons but leaving in the stock cams until the motor is broken in, then i’ll throw in the crower cams and get a nice neptune tune and see what happens.

in crower’s book it says .006 in. and .008 exhaust…i used it on my 63403’s and not a tick to it.

What fuel octane were you using ? CTR piston are going to bump your compression way up around 11.7:1(according to C-SpeedRacing.com). I’m guessing too low of an octane killed your engine !

cams

I have those same cams it’s .006 in. and .008 ex

Go to this link and you will get all the specs:

http://www.crower.com/misc/cam_spec/cam_finder.php?part_num=62402-2&x=39&y=15

Clearance is .006 and .008 hot

well i wasn’t to far off on the clearance then, but about the octane comment, i never thought about that when the car was parked before the rebuild it still had the full tank of regular. so that could be another issure thanks!

You might want to seriously consider that ! 87 oct + high compression engine = Boom !!! Was it pinging/detonating ?

guys im setting the timing on my car

ive got it at tdc, and ive got the pins in the cams however the timing marks on the cam gears dont line up

im running oem honda cams and the exhaust cam is out by 1 tooth is this ok? the engine spins freely still. but im a little worried has anyone dealt with these cams and can they re assure me please.

One tooth is one tooth too much. If my memory is correct, the timing marks on the cam sprockets do not line up perfectly. When the arrows are pointing up, the marks at 3 oclock on the exhaust cam and 9 oclock on the intake cam may be slightly high but very slightly, definitely not one tooth.

I put CTR pistons in my motor and the comp was like 11:6:1. you gotta use 91 octane for that or use mess up your motor like that

yeh but the dowel pins line up perfectly. ive seen this happen sometimes with the zc engine. and its always the exhaust cam.

got this sorted. ive got a rattle from mine think its the tappets i adjusted them to oem specs and its still rattly anyone had this prob?